Chapter Two

(Picture of Nathaniel)

It was the eve of mine and Nathaniel's engagement announcement. 

It took twelve days of courting for him to request my hand in marriage, from my father of course. I accepted that it was not an offer I could refuse.

Me being disowned would have been likely if I had denied it.

It then took five more days to discuss the matter thoroughly, from finances to the actual marriage. There was even talk of children at one point, which Nathaniel wants immediately. Everything just didn't feel right, despite being a bride to be.

I did not even get to discuss any of these topics, because it was a matter held between Lawrence Rowe, Nathaniel Rowe and my father.

When father returned home, I had asked him what happened and he gave me small details, but then patted me on the shoulder, telling me that a majority of the things discussed did not involve me.

The entirety of that meeting was to discuss my marriage to Nathaniel, so how did it not involve me?

"Is everything alright, dear?" Nathaniel asked, wrapping an arm around my waist. This type of behavior was suitable now, since I was in fact his soon to be wife.

I was his now.

"Yes, Nathaniel" I answered, feeling uneasy with this close contact.

He tightened his hold on me "Then smile, we're getting married for christ sake "

I nodded and tried to pull away, but he kept his grip on me, digging his finger tips in to me.

"Most girls your age would practically bow before me just to get in my good graces; act the part" he said, quietly, while smiling at the guests as they walked by us.

I pulled away from him and walked towards Elijah, who looked as though he were guarding the front door door.

"What are you doing?" he asked, moving in front of me, so I couldn't further on.

"I-I just need fresh air, is all" I said, continuing to try and get past him.

He shook his head "A young girl, such as yourself is not permitted to be alone so close to the evening"

I sighed "Elijah, please" my eyes pleaded for him to not think as father, but as my brother.

He frowned and grabbed my wrist, pulling me near the stairway, away from the guests. "Enough of this" he said, pressing me back against the banister. "This is your engagement announcement. Father is satisfied, mother is proud, and Rowena wants to be you. What is wrong with you?"

I pushed away from the banister, not even sure how to put it. I couldn't say what was truly on my mind, because it's dishonorable for a girl to act against her husband- soon to be husband, so what did I do? I decided to get smart, not thinking of the repercussions.

"Might it be that I'm a woman, the lesser of the two options that could have been thrusted upon me? I'm only a fragile girl, on the verge of woman hood and all you have to say is what is wrong with me? I thought someone of your higher class would understand the practices of a dainty child bearer."

"You inadequate little girl" he said, piercing his eyes through me "Do not for one moment think that just because you have finished your studies, before other girls of your age, that it makes you any higher on the status of man against woman. You're deranged. You are nowhere equal to men and must learn your place" he paused, looking me over "Before your husband shows you it"