Chapter Seventeen

Hours had gone by, yet still I could not get the idea of a family reunion out of my head. 

There were so many questions that would remain unanswered until their arrival, which made this all the more dreadful to actually think about.

How will I react when I see them again?

More importantly, what will they do when they see me?

Based on history, I was expecting the absolute worst of them. I expected all hell to break loose, leaving only a bloodbath for those who will be here.

Fearing the worst only made it all more real.

I looked down, wondering if Florence could help me calm down, but then someone would know just how badly I feared this event.

The act of hiding how I really felt had become a permanent thing, so why should this event be any different than what I have already dealt with?

Something about this event made me assume that everything will be too insidious for me to handle, which means I will have no choice but to lean closer to Killian.

At least to the humans, this entire charade would look realistic.

That is all that mattered, despite how easily my father could see when someone was playing a role. 

He knew when I was lying at all times, resulting in a constant fear of crossing him.

I could not help but feel so scared of what would happen. When I was last with them, it did not end well and I knew that there would not be a happy reunion.

Knowing it would not end happily actually made me relieved.

My family would see the fancy accomodations and the attire that seems to be from books; that would help them believe it was all real.

They would come and go and things would move on, just as they are destined to.

"It appears as though you may be overthinking this entire situations" Killian said, entering my room.

"I just cannot escape thoughts of seeing my parents once more" I said, taking a deep breath.

He took a seat beside me, on the bed's edge "Do not worry; I will not let them harm you"

"You know how I feel about this entire arrangement" I started, trying to choose my words carefully "I cannot tell who I fear most"

"Fear most?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Whether I fear what you are capable of, or what I know they are capable of"

He nodded "I understand, but at least regarding them, you will be safe"

"Thank you" I whispered.

He looked at me confused "What was that?"

I sighed "Well first you saved me when I was stuck on the streets and now you're helping me again. You do not have to, but you help without even being asked"

He slowly nodded "Well I'm always happy to help"

"Do you suppose that they might finally see me as something other than a burden?" I asked.

Killian stared at me "I cannot say for certain, because your parents do not seem as the loving type. I do hope that they decide to leave you be once discovering that you are in fact better off without them"

I looked down "You would be surprised with the subjects that just pass right by them. They are completely oblivious to anything that does not enhance their own way of living"