Nova

Peter pokes his head with messy hair into the bottom bunk. I was awake the whole night, just like I always am. I can't risk falling asleep. But my body aches and is burning and stiff. I try to move but it hurts too much to try. Peter looks concerned, but then disappears behind the curtains. He comes back out with a bottle of pills and some water. I already looked at my pill schedule, so I know that these are painkillers.
      He opens the bottle for me and hands the pills over to me. I put them in my mouth, and he helps me hold the glass. I swallow, and he helps me get up. It hasn't kicked in yet, but I need to at least try to get up and out. He changes his cloths and gets out of the room so I can change mine. I'm wearing a grey jacket and light blue jeans. I don't want to have to see more of myself then I have to.
       I get out of the bedroom and into the kitchen, where May is preparing pancakes. I still don't eat all of them, but I do finish half of one, which Peter notices but then ignores. I grab a bag and put it over my sore shoulders, and we head out the door. Peter signs more than once if I need help carrying my bag, but every time I say no. I want to do things for myself. It feels weird for relying on on others after trying to survive by myself.
          A boy comes up to us and start's excitedly talking to Peter, and getting way too close to me. I try to keep a few feet's distance, and take a step backwards every time he comes forward. Peter stands between us, and must be explaining to the boy to stay away. Or talking about something else. I wish I could understand. We get on the bus, and  I sit next to the window while the boy sits in front of us talking to Peter for a little longer. "Ned," Peter finger spells. The bus ride is only a few minutes long, and soon I'm at the school. Peter helps me up, and my body doesn't ache and burn as much. An adult sees Peter and I, and says something to Peter. Then she goes inside the room with everyone else. Peter looks inside the small window on the door, and opens it. He puts an arm around my shoulder and brings me close to his side as we walk in. I see just about twenty five students sitting by their desks.
'So many people...'
     So far I don't think I've ever been in a more crowded room, and it makes me feel a bit sick. But I lean in closer to Peter; I have to trust that he'll protect me. He said that I would be safe. That he would keep me safe. But Killer had said that countless times too. But Peter is different from Killer. He has to be. The teacher continues to talk, and I feel the weight of everyone's eyes on me. I look down at the ground. I start to feel a little anxious. Ok, a lot anxious. But I'm sure that it's nothing big right now. As long as I can hold it in, I will. Peter leads me to what is supposed to be my seat. People behind me, people to one side of me. People in front of me. That doesn't make me feel any better. But at least my side of the desk is facing the wall. And Peter's side is the one where the rest of the people are. I just have to watch my back.
     But then people start to surround me at all directions on my desk. Tapping my shoulder, bringing out their own notebooks to ask me questions. Peter signs that they just want to get to know me. I don't even really know me. I'm starting to feel a bit claustrophobic, but I push that down too. This isn't like the closet at Killer's. This wasn't like when he sat on top of me naked. This is just me in a classroom surrounded by people. People who could hurt me... no. Don't think about that. Push it down.
     "What happened to your ears?"
     "Is it true that you were abused?"
     " What did they do to you?"
     "Do you have any more scars?"
      Peter tried to wave away the people, and started to pull me closer to his side, trying to keep me safe from all these people. He calls out to who I assume is the teacher, because she gets everyone away from me. "Are you ok?" Peter translates. I'm really shaken, and I keep remembering my old universe, and the scars that will never leave my body because of it. I feel the ache that is the result of every tear, every break in my bones. But I feel a hand on mine, and I take my mind off of it. I look back into Peter's Eyes and nod.

        It turns out, I'm good at language arts.  The essays and questions on stories really aren't bad at all. Even though it's my first day, I end up helping Peter with his work. We work like this for a little while, before I notice someone with a straw in their mouth aiming at Peter. I know that this is supposed to be a safe place, but I can't help but feel a little nervous. It reminds me of people shooting at me. I don't want to think about that. But soon enough, a wet paper ball is shot at Peter's face. He wipes it off. Is that normal in this universe? It must be. Peter barely even noticed it. Not long after, everyone is being dismissed from class. I get up with the help of Peter, and we walk to our next class.