Peter

I fall asleep with Nova next to me, her cuddling into my chest. It must have been hours, because I wake up in a pitch black room. I woke up because I felt someone tugging on my shirt. I open my eyes and bend over the bed and web the light to turn in on. I see Nova, clawing at my shirt. Her breathing is moving fast, and she's shutting her eyes tight.
'I gotta wake her up. She might be having a nightmare.'

I lightly shake her shoulder to wake her up, and watch as her eyes flutter open. She jumps up in shock and starts to look around. Her fast breathing turns into hyperventilating. I get closer to place a hand on her, but she moves back and starts signing. "Don't hurt me, I'm sorry." What? Why would she think I would hurt her? She's my friend. And starting to feel like my sister. "I'm not going to hurt you, it was just a nightmare." She sighs and rests her head on the wall and closes her eyes as a few tears stream down.

"He's still there," she signs. Who? I shake my head to show I don't understand. "The man who hurt me. Even though he's gone, he's still hurting me. I thought if I got away it would stop. I thought I would stop hurting." Ok, that response was a lot sadder then I thought it would be. I don't know what to say. So I sit next to her and put an arm around her shoulders. She leans her head on my own shoulders and closes her eyes. I feel so bad for her. She can't get her abuser out of her head. And just the other day she was saying how it was alright and that she deserved the hurting. But she didn't. If only I could show her...

The alarm clock rings. I didn't know it was so early. I get up from the bed and climb down the ladder. She was awake so she follows me. I get ready first, then leave the room so she can change. I sit down at the table and rest my head on it. I feel May ruffle my hair from behind me. "How was your night, Pete?" She places a plate of wheat cakes in front of me. "Nova had a nightmare. And I-I don't know what to do sometimes. It's-it's a lot to take care of her. But don't get me wrong! I really love her. But..." I cant finish my sentence. I'm really tired right now, and May comes up to me and strokes my hair. "It's fine, Peter. I'll help her out after school. Then you can take a break and hang out with Ned. How does that sound?" May always knew how to make everything alright. "Yeah, yeah. That would be great. Thanks May!"

She walks back into the kitchen and places another plate out on the table. I look up to see Nova in extra layers of shirt. Even though she still refuses to wear anything that's not full length, her jacket looks thicker. "Good morning," I sign. May comes up behind her and gives her a hug before greeting her. If I'm not number one on the list of who she trusts, then May definitely is. May is the only other person who can touch her other than me. May says goodbye and leaves the room. Her work makes her leave earlier then the time we go to school. After eating, we brush our teeth and get our bags ready. We leave the apartment building soon after. Maybe Ned and I can continue the work on the Lego Death Star.

"Hey man!" I call out to Ned. "Dude, want to hang out today?" He asks as we do our handshake. "Sure," I reply. He turns to Nova and waves at her, knowing she isn't very social. We walk and talk to the bus stop. We sit on the bench and wait. It's starting to get cloudy and drizzle a bit. I look over to Nova, who looks a bit nervous. I tap her hand to get her attention. "Are you ok?" I sign to her. She nods rapidly. I don't think she is ok, but if she doesn't want to talk about it now then maybe I should leave it alone. After a while, even Ned is throwing nervous looks at her. "She looks a bit freaked out, dude."
"Yeah, but what can I do if she doesn't want to talk?" He shrugs and we continue to talk. "What are you going to do about Liz?" He asks. Dang. I don't know what to do after I told her I couldn't go to her party or invite Spider-Man. Maybe I should try to talk to her today. "I don't know, I'll just be myself."
"Peter, no one wants that." Ouch. That one hurt. The bus finally arrives and Nova is still jittery the whole drive. I decide to stroke her hand to calm her down. I don't need a power outburst at school.

A/N: Hey! How are you all doing? Happy for anyone reading my book, just leave me recommendations and comments. I'm trying not to rush what I'm trying to do here. I know it's going slow, but I promise you it'll be worth it if you stick around. I want to time the big surprise perfectly. And I don't have a lot of time to write lately since at school they take away our phones now and that's where I do most of my writing. And I get home at like 4:30 and don't finish homework till 6-7. So that leaves me with half an hour to write before my phone is taken away. But I'll keep trying! Bye people!!!