Nova

While Peter blushes and says goodbye to MJ as she leaves the table, I'm stuck with Ned, trying to coax me into eating lunch even though I've told him to stop and that it's futile to try to convince me right now.

"It's seriously so annoying how stubborn you can be."

I feel a little guilt I've upset him. I want to hurt myself. It'll make me feel what I deserve. But I promised Peter that I wouldn't. Ugh. This is going to be hard to stop.

Peter stops staring at MJ leaving the cafeteria and finally comes back to us.

"Dudes!" He practically yells. Then he apologizes after I flinch. It's loud enough in this room without him yelling too. He knows it can get overwhelming for me if there is too much sound specially.

"What?" Ned asks. He leans in and so do I, so we can both hear whatever Peter's about to whisper.

"I asked MJ out for a date and she said yes!" I feel so happy for him. Ned breaks out in a huge smile and so do I.

He turns to me. His smile falters for a moment when he glances at my full tray. I don't want to upset him out of all people. So I force myself to take a bite and take the pills I don't want. His face relaxes as he slings an arm around my shoulders.

"I'm happy for you. I always thought you guys would make a great couple," I say. His face turns yet another shade of red.

I hear the bell ring reminding us to head to the rest of our classes where hopefully there won't be any social interaction.

"Bye, Novi!" I Peter and Ned say, simultaneously. I smile and wave at them after releasing my ears from the firm clutches of my hands. I really need to get used to the bell one of these days. I move onto twirling my hair as I go to another class.

I'm on my knees in the training room. My entire body is shivering and overheating at the same time. I really don't understand what my body is trying to feel.

Uncle Stephen wraps a blanket around my shoulders and a cup of tea levitates to me.

Peter was watching a Star Wars movie on his phone before I messed up. Again.

Everyday Uncle Stephen tries to help activate and understand my power. Some days we even go to the Sanctum to just read through his books and see what it is which lurks inside me. That's how today started before we gave up on that and started to train.

Now I'm being connected to the ventilator they keep in my room. It's normal. Is it sad that it's normal? Oh well. I don't mind.

Peter's seen this enough times for this to be normal for him as well. But somehow he never fails to worry about it.

The skin on my arms is bright red, but thankfully not charred. He holds an ice pack to one arm while he texts MJ with the other.

Peter: what time u wanna go out
Peter: and where. I can go anywhere u wanna go :))

MJ: tonight. 7pm. the park. Don't be late ;)

Peter's face goes bright red and I jokingly nudge his arm.

"Stop it! Don't look at my screen," he jokes back and gave my shoulders a slight push away from him.

My shoulders slightly burn from the touch and I hiss in pain for a moment before I try to laugh again. But I choke a bit instead. I forgot about the ventilator.

I move Peter's hand- the one with the ice pack- to my shoulder and relax a bit. I can tell he feels bad for hurting me. But it wasn't his fault that his touch hurts my burnt skin. His touch usually calms me. I would want it. If only it didn't hurt.

"Peter, could you please get out of here?" Uncle Stephen says. "Nova and I need to talk."

Peter nervously get out of the room after giving me a kiss and a whisper: "love you, sis."

I smile a little at this.

"Nova." Uncle Stephen gets my attention and sits at the foot of my bed. I tilt my head a little as if to say, what?

"Your condition is worsening. We might have to stop doing a few things..."

I knew that I wasn't getting much better. The training and Teddy really take it out of me.

"Training to get your powers out will have to stop. We might have to accommodate some things for Teddy so he doesn't drain you. And no school."

My jaw would drop if there wasn't a tube shoved in there right now. I really want to go to school. I don't want to be cooped up in here. And what does he mean by accommodating to Teddy? Does that mean he's aloud to get out and attack people?

Uncle Stephen tries to place an IV in my arm, but I shove his own hand away. I really don't want him to see the cuts. So, I put the IV in place under the covers. Sure he's a bit suspicious of why I'm no longer letting him look at my arms. But there's no way I'm letting him see them.

"I'll tell Tony," he finally says. But it won't matter. I've stopped caring about my health a long time ago. I stopped caring when I started cutting. I just stick around for Peter. I don't think anyone other then him would really care much after I leave.

'Wanna hang out?' I hear Sunny's voice in my head. I smile a bit before replying.

'Yes.'