Nova

The group of people turn and aim their guns at us. My heart rate rises slightly. I've been shot once. It wasn't too bad after being beaten and cut for many months. But I don't want it to happen again. A few of the men run up to Peter. Two of them throw punches at him as another shoots. He punches both of them in the face, knocking them out cold, and quickly goes into a backflip to avoid the bullets.

I should help. I can't be useless. I run up to the masked strangers and I pull my power to the surface. Stephen has been helping me learn how to do it without Wanda's help. I feel it, along with the sharp pain in my head and a cold wave move through my body. I ignore it and pull the water from the clouds and shove as much as I could harshly at the three men running at me. I push them hard enough that they hit the wall, and it cracks. I shiver a little. It gets colder as I use more of my power.

Peter swings above two of the people and uses his webs to get a hold of both of their heads, he tugs at the webs in a way that makes both crash into each other. They get a bit dizzy, and I use the water as an extension of my arms to grab them, and then throw them into the growing pile of people. A man comes up from behind me and takes me by the neck. He makes his way to the front of me, and almost takes off my mask. His hold on me feels so familiar. I panic, feeling like I was back in Killers grasp again. I move the water to his face, and I do something I didn't even know I could do. I boiled it in an instant. He moves away and almost takes off his mask before Peter takes his head in his hands and hits it against the wall. That leaves us with only one guy left. The one who has the boy. Peter comes to me and places a hand on my shoulder. "I'll take care of him," he signs.

I nod in understanding and watch as Peter takes down the last guy. He wraps all nine of them in his webs- wait. Nine? That can't be right. "There was one more," I sign to Peter. He looks around for a moment, and I think asks a question to Karen. "I'll find him again." I look over to the boy, who looks like he's, my age. Then I see it in his ear. A hearing aid. Could he be deaf? If I can trust him, maybe I could get to know him. I love Peter, but having another person outside of him and the Avengers would be nice. Another person I could easily communicate with.

He has brown hair and hazel eyes. He's wearing a navy-blue jacket and jeans. I feel something in me want to get closer, to get to know him. But something else in me says to stay away; that he might be a danger. And that voice is stronger, so I stay back. "Thank you for saving me," he signs. I don't know what to do. No one has ever thanked me for anything. If anything, I was always blamed for issues, the cause of them. Never the solution. But he looks genuine. But even if he is, what should I say? Peter seems to know that I can't respond, so he does it for me. "No problem! Happy to help," Peter signs. "I didn't know that Spider-Man knew sign language, that makes me really happy," The boy signs. Peter and the boy get into a long sign language conversation, and I watch.

The boy's name is Max, and he's going to Midtown. Just like me. I wonder if he's new. I haven't seen him around before. Then he starts asking questions about me. I'm getting a little uncomfortable now. I want to get out of here. He can't know too much about me, and I'm really tired. "She's my new partner," Peter signs. I want to walk over to Peter, but he's a little too close to Max. "Let's go," I sign. He nods and says goodbye to Max as he takes me by the waist and starts to swing us through the city again. It's actually really fun, swinging through the sky. I look down to the ground to see hundreds of cars stuck in traffic, and a few covered in snow. I'm really not used to this temperature, but I hope I'll be able to adapt to it soon.

We land on the Avengers tower, and Tony is waiting for us... Peter walks up to him and starts waving his arms while talking, like he always does. "She gave me the idea, right?" Peter signs and turns to me. "I just wanted her to enjoy herself, and if your safety measures couldn't keep two teenagers from getting out then it's sort of your fault that we got out," Peter signs. He shouldn't have said that. That was a bad idea. Tony looked angry as he talked to Peter, pointing at me every so often. Then he starts signing. "You know you weren't allowed out, and you did it anyways." I don't know where this is going. Will he punish us? Is punishing in this universe anything like how it is in mine? I try to ignore it and look down in shame. "I'm sorry," I sign.
"Don't tell me you're damn sorry! You're pathetic! That's what you are!" I remember when he wrote that down on the notebook, only to later write it in my skin. 
        Tony talks to Peter a moment longer, and then leaves. Peter sighs, and sits at the edge of the building. "What's wrong?" I sign. He glances at me and then back at the view of the city. His mask is off, and his hair is gently swaying in the wind, in contrast to mine, which is thrashing into my face. "He thinks I'm irresponsible. But I just wanted to have some fun with you!" Peter was just trying to make me happy, why would Tony be mad? I should try to make Peter feel better. "I had fun. I want to do it again soon," I sign in response. He gives me a small smile and looks back at the city.
****to Mays apartment****
May brings us home about an hour later. We get inside the apartment and Peter plops down on the couch. I cough a bit, and eventually start to lean on the wall. Peter walks over to me when I finish and leads me to his bedroom. "Let's take a nap," he signs. "I don't feel very safe sleeping. Yesterday was only the exception since I didn't really know what was going on. But maybe it's time I trusted that I'm safe here. So, I get in the top bunk next to Peter. I'm still a bit nervous about sleeping again, and Peter seems to know that. "You're safe," he signs. "I'm here and you're safe." I try to let his words sink in, and I relax into the bed, he pulls the comforters over my shoulders and hugs me tight.

Safe...

A/N: Hey guys! What you think? I've been battling some writers block lately, but I have the future of the book planned out. The next chapter might be more interesting, so just please hang on in there. Schools also been really putting more work on me. I'll write whenever I can.