Tony

Eleven months. That's how long it's been since Nova slipped into a coma after the kids returned from her universe.

"She overworked herself," Strange had said to me. She was tortured when she was kidnapped. She had used her control over fire to the point where her skin nearly melted off her body earlier that day as well. She was used to travel universes not long after. She hiked a mountain, fought her abusers, got possessed by something, although we don't know what yet.

That's what I think about as I sit in her room in the med bay, Peter in the chair next to me. He hasn't failed to miss a single visit for her. He rests his head on my shoulder as he snores slightly. The only other sounds are the heart monitor and ventilator attached to Nova.

"Hey, Pep," I say. She just entered the room. I don't need to look up to know it's her. "Tony," she starts. "Let's go to bed. You've been here for hours." I feel frustration build up in me, but I don't know why. "You think I don't know that?" I ask her. "The kid needs me here. He wants to be with her." I plant a hand to my forehead and shut my eyes.

She sits in the chair next to me and takes my hand. "Sorry- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out like that. I'm- I'm just tired."

Pep runs a hand up and down my back, making me feel comforted that at least she's safe next to me. "It'll be fine. I promise," she offers calming words. "Bruce, he says she isn't going to wake up. What am I going to tell the kid?" I ask her. "He's already lost so much." She doesn't say anything after that. She keeps letting me know she's there without having it be verbal. It's calming.

"Pete," I say quietly. "It's late. Let's get you to bed," I say. He opens his eyes slightly and slowly gets up from his chair. He walks to Nova and gives a hug to her limp body. "Night, sis." He always talks to her like she can listen. Like she isn't in an ongoing coma.

Pepper and I exchange a sad look as we walk the halls into his bedroom. He's been more reliant on us after his Aunt May disappeared. I tuck him in the bed and say goodnight to him. I turn off the lights and I'm about to shut the door before he calls out for me. "Do you think she'll wake up soon," he asks me. Jeez. That's a toughie. "Let's hope so," I say to him before I shut the door gently.

-

"Hey, Tones. What's up?" Rhody asks me. He offers me a shot which I take gratefully. "You would think it would get easier after eleven months of the same old routine," I start. "But the kids still as sad as ever and I'm still clueless on how to raise him. What if we never find his aunt? What then? What will I tell him if No- the girl- doesn't wake up?" We don't use her name here anymore. Peter's eyes water every time we say it, so it's become a habit of not. Rhodes walks up to me and places a hand on my shoulder. "He'll be fine in time. All of this will. Just, try not to freak out waiting. Okay?" I look at him for a moment before taking another shot. "Yeah, yeah, sure. I'll just be off to bed then. Night honey bear," I call to him whilst leaving, using his pet name. I can practically feel his eyes rolling as he walks in the opposite direction.

I slip into bed next to Pepper and turn off the lights. "Don't be awake all night, alright Tony? The kids have school tomorrow." I nod, although she can't see this as her head is facing the other way.

In fact, she can't see me at all. She isn't even there.

I fall into a fitful sleep, remembering all the complications which arose when Nova fell into that coma. And all the complications that would happen if she ever woke up from it.

A/N: Hi. I know this chapters short I just wanted to write something though. Bye!