𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢.

song of the chapter
you are in love by taylor swift

❝  one night he wakes, strange look on his face
pauses, then says, you're my best friend  

The wedding festivities were finally over. It was nearing midnight and the happy couple had said their goodbyes to the party, retreating into the confines of their hotel room. But not before Camila sent Gabriela and wink and threatened Emanuel profusely. Just normal cousin things.

Camila's feet were absolutely aching from a night filled with standing and then walking and then dancing for hours on end, not to mention all in her far too high heels. Camila groaned, leaning against a table and throwing her head back with an annoyed groan before bending down to slip off her shoes. She'd rather walk around barefoot than be in those godforsaken heels for one more minute, even if it meant walking the gravel trail to the hotel with no shoes on. Sure, her feet might get cut up, but she would take it over the pain from in her ankles.

"What are you doing?" Carlos came up behind Camila, watching in confusion as she slipped off her shoes, an immediate look of relief washing over her face. He had gone to say goodbye to his sisters and come back to this, Camila fully prepared to walk back to the hotel barefoot.

"I'm taking off my heels, my feet are absolutely killing me." Camila replied, biting her lip in concentration as she undid the tiny silver buckle on her shoe strap

"But you can't walk back to the hotel with no shoes on, the gravel will cut up your feet." Carlos said, and Camila only shook her head.

"Better than the pain from these goddamn torture machines."

Carlos raised his eyebrows in amusement, grabbing the heels from Camila with one hand and gesturing to his back with the other. "Get on my back, I'll carry you to the hotel."

A large smile stretched over Camila's face and she hiked up her long blue dress to her thighs before wrapping her arms around Carlos's neck and letting him pull her onto his back. She tried to grab the heels from Carlos, but he just shook his head, letting them hang from his index finger as he secured his hands around the bottom of Camila's thighs.

She was trying very hard not to think about just how high up his hands were on her bare legs.

The moment Carlos began to walk out of the white marquee, Camila rested her head lightly on his shoulder, allowing her eyes to close momentarily. The craziness of the day had finally gotten to her it seemed. Waking up way too early in the morning to make sure everything was perfect for the wedding, helping Gabriela get ready, getting herself ready, standing for what felt like hours, waiting for the wedding to begin, giving toasts, and dancing with Carlos for half the night, had all left her feeling beyond exhausted. But a good kind of exhausted. The sort of exhausted you feel after one of the best days of your life. It had been one of the best days of her life.

The walk back to the hotel was quiet, Camila had almost fallen asleep on Carlos's back multiple times, but she jolted awake every time he shifted his hands higher up her legs. The butterflies in her stomach wouldn't let her properly rest.

Once they had finally reached the hotel lobby, Camila jumped down off of Carlos's back and onto the cool marble floors. A shiver ran through her body when her bare feet made contact with the freezing tiles. She didn't know how much longer she would have been able to have Carlos's hands on her legs but not being able to do anything.