Prologue

Before to start: A huge thank you to @Adshajira for this amazing cover!

First thing, thank you for choosing my story. English is not my first language and I'm still learning it. I'm sorry in advance for my mistakes and misspelling.

Everything was falling apart in the dark ocean pack. In the last five years, the pack has declined. After the terrible truth was discovered nothing was the same anymore. The trust had disappeared, replaced by betrayal and hurt. Nobody knew if they will be able to stand up again and if this was their end. It was impossible to deny that the pack was dying. Nobody could really forget what happened and they were stuck with their leader in pain, not able to forget or to forgive. So not able to lead as they should.

Who would believe that the pack was peaceful and one of the stronger in America, a few years ago? The Beta looks at the windows. From here, he was seeing the playground for the kids. It's used to be full of life but now it's empty and broken. Life was leaving this land he knew that. Was it really what he wanted for his son? No, he never has imagined that. They both have to see their best friends fall apart and become the shadow of themselves. The Alphas, like the Betas, were co-leading. His best friend is eaten up with remorse and not able to be the strong Alpha he used to be and his son, he's mateless and not able to go over his grief. The touch of a Luna would be useful but he refused to choose another mate even after the loss of his destined mate. His mother, and Luna, was trying her best but she too was eaten up by her guilt. Not forgiven herself for having been so blind.

Last month, he received a call for the Green valley pack, they were looking for a Beta. He wanted to propose the position to his son. He wanted his happiness and a safe future. Things he will not have here in the dark ocean pack. Not anymore. But will his son accept to leave? After all, they were both similar and did not want to let down their best friends. And deep down, he knew his son would never leave. Too attached to his friend, his pack, and this land. He didn't even leave to try to find his mate!

They were both active Betas because with two dysfunctional Alphas, they had a lot of work and even if they were doing the best it was not enough. The pack has lost its flame, it is a reason to be. The clock was ticking and they didn't have so much time left. The number of attacks and rogues intrusion was increasing every month. Members start to not feel safe anymore and start to leave the pack. Last year they lost over 100 members. He also knew that soon the Alpha will be challenged. It was a matter of time. Still, like his son, he would never leave his best friends, his home behind. But the situation was becoming desperate and only a miracle could save them. But did they deserve to be saved? He was not sure, he was just hoping to.

"Beta Steeve, sorry to disturb you but Alphas are not reachable right now. Orion is at the gate, he wants the right to enter. He wants to visit his family. What should we do?" Ethan, a warrior, mindlinked him.

Orion, the one with whom everything started...

"Is he alone?" Steeve asked back.

"No... You should come." Ethan replied but Steeve felt his discomfort.

"We will be there in 5 minutes." Steeve says before closing the mindlink.

"Aaron, Let's go! Someone is at the border asking for entrance." Steeve called his son.

"Okay, Dad. Who is it?" Aaron replied to his father.

"Orion." He heard his son stop breathing in surprise.

"Orion, you said?" Alpha Sloan asked to go out of his office.

"Yes, Alpha. He wants to visit his family." Steeve replied.

"Why are you the one they've contacted?"

"Your mindlink is closed, Alpha."

"Oh... Okay... I'm coming too." The Alpha replied.

"As you wish Alpha."

Nobody was coming by the gate anymore. The pack used to be a sanctuary for the ones who were sinking for help. Rogues were always accepted and other species too. But that was before. Now rogues were coming just to take what they wanted: Female, food, money... They have become weak and everybody knows that. The walk until the gate was quiet, none of them speaking lost on their own thoughts. The faces were closed. Ethan and Henri, the second guard guarding the gate, were surprised to see one of their Alphas. The pack was used to never seeing them anymore as they were staying in the office. They bow their head in respect in front of him. Even if he was not the great Alpha he used to be, his pack members still hold a lot of respect for their leader. The ones who stayed were all praying for a miracle.

Beta Steeve, Beta Aaron, and Alpha Sloan looked at the car and at Orion who was turning his back speaking to a girl. Feeling their power the couple stopped to speak and Orion turned toward the Alpha and the Betas, hiding the woman in his back.

"Alpha Sloan, Betas Steeve and Aaron. It's nice to see." Orion bowed in respect.

"Orion, why are you here? After so much time, why come back?" The Alpha asked.

"I came to see my family, Alpha. I miss them terribly and I would like to spend some time here. Would it be possible, please?" Orion replied.

"Of course. Is it your mate on your back?" Alpha Sloan asked and he could see the two warriors shifting on their feet, not comfortable.

"No, Alpha Sloan. I'm not his mate. I would like to spend some time here, I have some affairs to take care of." The woman said coming at the view.

Shock pasted on the Alpha and the Betas' faces.

"Mara..." The Alpha mutters, incredulous.

"If it's possible?" Mara added.

"Of course Mara. This is where you're born." The Alpha replied.

How will his son take the news? How was he going to tell him? The Alpha thought but before he could think about a solution, a shadow came out of the wood.

"Mate!" Sage growls, making Mara jumps.

There it was: The miracle the pack was expecting or the final blow who will end the pack for good. Only time has the answer. After all, everything started with Orion, it makes sense that everything will end with him. The question is: How?