II. Tornado - Part 2 - Whisper Of A Thrill

Not a word was exchanged between Mara and Orion, during the trip from the border to the pack house. They had barely arrived in the territory and already they could see how the pack had declined in only a few years. The atmosphere was heavy and oppressive, filled with shame, guilt and many other negative emotions. Orion was surprised that the pack had lost all its brightness.

When they arrived at the pack house, they were not surprised to see Luna Vanessa waiting for them on the doorstep. However, Orion was surprised not to see Gamma Liam at his side. As a Gamma himself, he knew how much he had to stand by Mara's side if there was any doubt of possible danger as two former members. Luna Vanessa looked older than the last time he had seen her and her eyes no longer had the light of before even though she was still a very beautiful woman.

Luna Vanessa had a lot of questions in her head but she didn't dare to ask them. Orion and Mara were more quiet and closed. How long were they planning to stay? Had Mara come back for a chance to find happiness in Sage's arms? Or had her traumatic past made her vindictive and she was here to destroy them? Luna Vanessa was well aware of the weak state the pack was in and she really hoped that Mara and Orion didn't have bad intentions because if they did, Sage would no longer be able to reign in his wolf and would become feral. Before leaving them at the entrance to their rooms, Luna Vanessa invited them to dinner that evening.

"This is worse than I expected." Mara heard Orion comment in her mind.

"I know. I can't believe how quickly things have gone downhill." She replied. They used their own mindlink to avoid being spied on and especially unmasked.

"Are you going to visit your parents and brother today?" She asked him.

"Of course I am. That's why I'm here. We have to keep our cover."

"By the way, you're coming with me." Orion added.

"I don't think that's a good idea, your family doesn't know me. Moreover you know I don't like family reunions." She declined.

"That's not an option Mara. I'm not leaving you here by yourself. You've seen the shape the pack is in, there's no way you're leaving my sight. We don't know if there is anyone we can trust here." He retorted.

"You know I can defend myself, right?"

"I know, but that doesn't change anything. Where you go I go and where I go you go. That's not negotiable." He said firmly, cutting off their argument.

"Okay." She conceded.

"Did you feel anything when you saw him?" Orion inquired, curious.

"Who?" She asked back.

"Come on Mara! I'm talking about Sage! You know your mate!" It had a way of annoying him when she was so clueless. How could someone so smart be so clueless sometimes?! It was beyond him.

"What do you want me to do? What do you want me to say?" She wondered.

"Nothing, apparently... Be ready in 20 minutes." He told her before cutting off their mindlink. Now he was really annoyed.

He had hoped for a reaction from her but apart from being startled, nothing... Her heartbeat hadn't even quickened when Sage had come out of the woods. After so many years with her, he couldn't help but to still hope that she would finally open up to love or any romantic feeling, for a change. The task was going to be more complicated than he had initially anticipated.

Dinner that night was very awkward and filled with uncomfortable silence and many unanswered questions. No one really knew what to say or how to break the ice after so much drama and time. Sage could not take her eyes off Mara. He didn't even dare to blink for fear she would disappear. He had imagined a thousand times seeing her again, but in his imagination it had never been like this. He had given her great speeches to which she had been receptive. They spoke from the heart... In reality, Sage felt completely unsettled by this detached, cold and distant Mara. The only words she had spoken to him were then to ask him to stop staring at her because it was very impolite.

After this dreadful meal, Sage went for a run, needing to clear his head and relieve his stress. No one dared to go running with him anymore due to his lack of control over his wolf and his wolf's unstability. Everyone was afraid of his unpredictable reactions and his aggressiveness, including his own parents and his best friend. His best friend was waiting for him when he came back from his run. Aaron was worried about him.

"Hey, you didn't have to wait for me." Sage greeted him.

"I know I don't have to, but I wanted to. I want to make sure you're okay." Aaron shrugged.

"She's here. She's really here... At the same time, she's not what I expected. I don't know what to do? I have no idea how to deal with this cold Mara."

"I know what you mean. She seems so detached. Do you think she only came back to sell her father's house like she claims?" Aaron said.

"Honestly, I hope not... At the same time, she's so withdrawn that it seems true to me."

Aaron nodded not knowing what to say.

"She didn't even ask about Heather or if I'm mated!" Sage added, frustated.

"At the same time, it's pretty easy to see that you're unmated." Aaron replied.

"No wrong but still..." Sage conceded.

"Do you think I still have a chance with her?" Sage asked him, sharing his concern.

"I'd like to think so. You're still mates after all... But if not, I hope she'll be able to give you the closure you need to move on again." Aaron replied with sincerity.

He wanted his best friend back and to see him blossom into his role as Alpha as he should have. If Mara couldn't give them a second chance, she had to allow him to move on.

"Your mate will be very lucky. You know you can go looking for her. I can do without you for a few months. You deserve to be happy." Sage declared.

"I'm good, Sage. I can still wait, who knows maybe she'll come straight to me." Aaron replied, smiling at the thought. The truth was that he was afraid to involve his mate in the mess they were in. First fix things in the pack, then search for the mate.