II. Tornado - Part 7 - City Of Hope

The Alphas family was definitely giving Mara a hard time! The children at least. Between Sage, the first born and heir, who spied on her from afar and who was not able to have a normal discussion with her, Sam - their 20-year-old second son - who refused to follow orders and who during the hours of general interest services only did what he wanted to do, and finally Sophia - their youngest daughter aged 18 - who kept on talking about her behind her back, Mara was well served!

At least Alpha Sloan was taking the interactions with his pack members very seriously and it forced him to reconnect with them. As for Luna Vanessa, she was very involved in the hospital renovations. Everything was going well, until today when she saw Luna Vanessa, along with Gamma Liam, come into her office. She had just learned that Mara wanted to add a new department to the hospital. A psychiatric department, which she wanted to put in charge of an eminent psychiatrist who, although very reputable, had lost his last position because of his unconventionial practices.

"Why open this service!?" Luna Vanessa asked her.

"To help those in need, obviously. Besides, the nearest hospital with a proper psychiatric ward is 476 miles away. So that will be an added bonus for us. Since the death of Doctor Adicost we need to diversify and offer new services." Mara explained.

"Right. But why him? Doctor Jansen doesn't have the best reputation. Everyone knows he uses his vampire gifts against his patients." Luna Vanessa objected.

"Because not only does he get results that way, but also because he's really invested in his patients' recovery."

"How can you be sure?"

"Because I was a patient of his."

This statement sent a chill through the office.

"Anyway, he took the job and there's no way he's going to be fired, as long as I'm here." Mara added.

"As long as you're here... You'll never give him a real chance, will you? My boy is ready to get the moon for you, but you don't care." Luna Vanessa stated

"I'm not good for him or the pack." Mara declared.

"I thought you had been one of Doctor Jansen's patients and he was getting results!" Luna Vanessa snapped back curtly, causing Orion to growl.

Mara reached up and touched Orion's shoulder and he calmed down instantly. She went to the window and looked out and said, "I'm beyond repair. But Dr. Jansen helped me to be in peace with myself. Now if that's all, please get out so I can get on with my work."

Luna Vanessa stood up but Gamma Liam did not.

"Before I leave, I would like to thank you Mara for your help with Violet. It's still a long way to go but she's already doing better and it's all thanks to you." Gamma Liam said.

"Yes the road is still long and she is going to need more than me. I hope she will agree to meet Doctor Jansen." Mara replied.

"We don't really trust psychiatrists and psychologists," Gamma Liam replied.

"And that's a big part of the problem."

"Meaning?"

"You want her to get better and yet none of you are getting help. For her to get better, you have to get better first, you have to set an example for her." Mara advised.

"You should take the compliment young lady, instead of kicking a man when he's down!" Beta Steeve chastised her once Luna Vanessa and Gamma Liam had left the office.

"We don't have time for this. Besides, everyone's been avoiding telling him the truth he doesn't want to hear for five years. What good has it done him? None. It's time he faced his demons." Mara replied calmly, unfazed by the Beta's anger.

"We're letting you stay out of respect for your pack, Beta. If the way we are handling things doesn't suit you, you know where the door is." Orion stated. He didn't have Mara's composure.

Gamma Liam took time to think about what Mara had told him. As hard as it was to accept, she was right. How could he expect his daughter to get better, if every day he and his mate were drowning in remorse. That's why he decided to make an appointment with Dr. Jansen when he arrived at the hospital a few days later. Luna Vanessa didn't understand at first, but within a few weeks he saw the change in her friend and decided to give it a try.

Violet still refused to meet the doctor for the time being, but Gamma Liam was not giving up hope of convincing her. After all, he had already succeeded in pushing his mate and Luna Vanessa. One day after one of the meetings between Mara and Violet, Gamma Liam decided to come and apologise to Mara. Once his daughter had left, he came to sit next to her.

"I'm sorry Mara. I should have seen that something was wrong with my son. If I could only go back, I -"

"Don't. It's not your fault, or your mate's. Niels has fallen into the wrong hands. The shrink who saw him was a sadist who pushed him in the wrong direction. You didn't miss anything! Moreover, Niels knew very well that he was doing something wrong. He was old enough to be the one responsible for his actions." Mara cut him off.

"We can always do more. I have so many unanswered questions." He sighed.

"Where Niels is buried. Didn't I see his grave when I went to visit my mother's?" Mara asked him.

"Niels is not dead. He's in prison in more complete isolation." Gamma Liam explained to her.

So Sage hadn't killed him... Mara asked herself what it meant to be in "Complete isolation" even though she already had an idea. Therefore she summoned the two Alphas and the betas to her office directly after this discussion. An argument broke out as soon as the door was closed as they confirmed Mara's suspicions that Niels was isolated from human contact.. Mara demanded that Niels be moved to a normal cell with visiting rights and daily outings. This was strongly opposed by Sage. As usual Sage ended up shouting at Mara who remained unperturbed and refused to change her decision. Orion quickly stepped in between the two, ready to defend his Luna.

"And you! Why don't you say something! You sent me that day in the house of that scum so that I would kill him! How can you be okay with all this!?" Sage took him to task. As Aaron and Alpha Sloan approached him, ready to restrain him if necessary..

"My job is to support Mara and protect her and that's exactly what I'm doing." Orion grumbled

"All torture is wrong! I can only imagine the psychological damage Niels will suffer from this confinement. I don't know if he'll ever be able to be who he was again. I'm afraid he'll be irreversibly damaged."

"It's true that you know a lot about psychological damages and being unrepairable, don't you Mara?" Sage snarled at her.

Mara sighed, this day was long and drawn out: "And treating him like this makes you the better person? Tell me, how are you better than him when you have no problem torturing him like this?"

"Fuck you, Mara!" Sage retorted before leaving the office.

Mara looked to Alpha Sloan: "Tomorrow, Niels is changing cells, I want one with a window with direct sunlight ready when we arrive."

"We?" Beta Aaron asked.

"I'll be there myself to oversee the move." She explained.