I. Revelation - Part 3 - Self Fulfilling Prophecy

More than 4 months had passed since the rejection and although Sage fought for the first few weeks, he eventually gave up! He hadn't accepted it yet and hadn't rejected Mara in return, but he wasn't trying to talk to her anymore. In fact, someone else had caught his eye... A human who started a month ago, just after the Christmas holidays. Her name was Heather and she was the nicest girl Sage had ever met. She had been adopted by a werewolf family after losing her family.

The fact that she knew about werewolves was the icing on the cake for Sage. And after weeks of depression over Mara's rejection, Heather was a ray of light in his life. They had a science project to do together that pushed them to get to know each other better and in fact things had just clicked between the two of them. There was a chemistry between the two of them that everyone could see. At first Heather fought back because she knew about mates and how valuable they were to the werewolves, but when she found out that Sage had been rejected, she agreed to go on a date with him.

Sage was thrilled that she agreed and set up an amazing date for Heather. He was very considerate and the perfect gentleman with her. Heather couldn't understand why he was rejected. Who could have rejected this great man but she wasn't complaining because she had dreamed of being someone's mate, ever since she found out about them. She wanted the same love that her adoptive parents shared and she could already see herself falling in love with Sage, deeply! By the end of the night, she felt like the luckiest girl in the world. She even stole a kiss from him on his doorstep. His first kiss, the one he had planned to save for his mate...

They waited two more weeks before making their union official and for the next two months Sage never left her side. At first he waited to see Mara's reaction when she saw them holding hands, but she never showed anything but complete indifference. She really didn't care... The idea broke Sage's heart another time, but then he decided he had to move on. He couldn't waste any more time on someone like that. He'd already wasted too much of it on her.

Things were going really well and after a week's holiday together, Sage felt ready to take the next step. Aaron and Niels were also getting on well with Heather, which confirmed that he was making the right choice. Even his parents liked him and approved of their relationship. From time to time, they asked him if he was sure his real mate was dead. He told them that he had felt her die. Sage had refused to tell them the truth, feeling too embarrassed and not wanting to tell his mother who was friends with Dr. Adicost, Mara's father. If his mother had known the truth, he knew she would have tried to talk to him and he didn't want her to get involved. To be honest even his father would have interfered, his parents would have done anything for his happiness, even ordered Mara to accept him and that was the last thing Sage wanted. Only Niels and Aaron knew it was Mara. Heather just knew that he had been rejected but not who had rejected him. He almost told his brother, but he was too afraid he would share the bean with their parents. Besides, he was ashamed of having been rejected, so he preferred to avoid talking about it.

On the last day of their holiday they slept together for the first time and although there was no spark between them, as there is between mates, they felt good. After that, his wolf began to bond and be attracted to Heather and he knew it was time to accept Mara's rejection. So the following Monday he took Mara aside to accept her and reject her in return. Of course, she accepted it. She hadn't even flinched at anything. She just accepted it calmly, without emotion as she always was. How could the Moon Goddess put him together with her? It was a mistake. How could she be a good Luna when she wasn't capable of feeling anything.

At the beginning of May, Sage prepared a surprise for Heather, and after a game where the team won, he asked her to become his fiancé and future Luna, in front of everyone. Of course, she was touched and said yes right away. Everyone applauded and everyone wanted to congratulate the new couple. A few people asked about Sage's real mate and he simply explained that she had died (for him it was the truth), he had felt it a few months ago. In his happiness, he didn't see that Niels had cornered Mara but Aaron did.

"See, this is what a real Luna looks like! You never deserved that title!" Niels started with venom.

"Hey! Leave her alone! Sage asked us to stay out of this." Aaron warned him.

"All I did was telling the truth." Niels shrugged and turned to add something more to Mara but she was already gone.

"Fuck! Are you happy now?" He barked at the future Beta who growled at him.

"What's going on here?" Gamma Liam asked.

"Nothing dad, just a little disagreement." Niels dismissed him.

Mara took advantage of the euphoria to slip out of the stadium unseen. It was all over, so what was the point anyway. For the first time in a few months, tears rolled down her cheeks. She let them flow for a few minutes before masking everything she was feeling again. She knew what she had to do now...

Orion always saw himself as an ordinary werewolf, not exactly popular but not an outcast either. Good at sports and school but not excellent or outstanding. He was just average and that was fine with him. He was just a normal werewolf with no rank and that suited him perfectly. He turned 18 a week ago and planned to travel the world after graduation. Discovering new places, new languages and new cultures was a dream he had always had. And maybe he would meet his mate at the same time! He had started planning his trip a few months ago and had already met people online who he could stay with for a few days.

Orion was happy for his future Alpha and sorry to hear about the death of his mate, but as they weren't really friends, he wasn't overjoyed at the news that Sage had chosen a new mate either. For him, it would not change his life or his travel plans. He was content to stay at the celebration in the stadium for the free food and drink. Besides, his wolf had been bothering him for 10 minutes and he didn't know why. His wolf... He has grown in the last few months and his father and brother used to joke that he was doping his wolf to be so big. Certainly his wolf was not your average wolf, even if he was smaller than any wolf of rank. With his large size comes finer instincts and more strength than the rest of his family. And tonight, his annoying wolf wanted to wander around the cliff to the east of the territory instead of enjoying the free food! Since he knew he would lose to his wolf, he decided to leave the party.

All was quiet around Mara. Peace at last! she thought. She watched the sunset, and soon the night would come... She wondered what her wolf would have looked like if she had shifted? How would she have felt running alongside Sage's beautiful wolf? How would she have felt if he had marked her? Would she have liked to mate with him? She felt it when he made love to Heather before he rejected her. How could he like it when it was so... Then she thought about the book she was reading, she really liked it. How will it end? So many questions she would never have the answers to... But it didn't matter anymore. When the last ray of light left the sky, she knew her time had come!

Following his wolf instinct, Orion ran along the beach. The sound of the waves used to calm him, but not this time. His wolf urged him to run faster towards the cliff and he was just in time to see someone jump off from the top.