III. One Step Closer - Part 4 - Paradise

Sam loved his job, whether it was the party atmosphere or mixing cocktails. It was also a good way for him to forget his problems and to have a certain lightness that was so lacking during high school. Besides, it paid very well. He was very succesful because not only did he make very good cocktails but he was also very popular with the ladies. He soon realised that if he flirted a little with the women he could triple his tips. It was nothing too bad because behind the bar there was no physical contact that would make him feel disrespected by his mate. On his way back, he was thinking about her, wondering where she could be. The idea of becoming an Alpha excited him, but at the same time he would like to have time to look for her before taking on this position that would prevent him from travelling and searching for her at first. Perhaps he could seek the help of a witch to locate her or at least to have an idea where he should look for her. Maybe he should ask Julian.

Sam was surprised to see everyone still at his parents' house when he returned from the nightclub. It was too late for this to be normal. The only one missing was Sage but not for long. Before he could say anything Sage came home and sat down next to Mara. Definitely, he had missed something.

"What's going on?" He asked suspiciously.

"We've had a visit from representatives of the Black Paw Pack." Mara explained.

"Seriously? What did they want?" Sam asked surprised at the news.

"Nothing good. It's been taken care of." Orion replied calmly.

"What do you know?" Sage asked him.

"About?" Sam asked feigning ignorance.

"What really happened when you and Mara were attacked?" Sage asked.

"I killed them." Mara answered for Sam.

"How much does he know?" Sage asked her directly.

"That we are here to defeat your enemies, at any cost. He doesn't know about the other Mara, even though he met her during the attack, obviously. He knows that I am not as frail and fragile as I seem."

They spent the rest of the evening talking strategy, although Mara chose not to tell them everything, still wary of spies. Beatrice and Charlotte had gone upstairs with Sophia, as Sage didn't want her sister to be able to use information against them. Sam was shocked to learn of her betrayal. However, being close to her, he went to check on her and hear her side of the story. He understood her reasons even if he needed time to accept them. He was sorry to see her heartbroken, if he ran into that bastard he would give him a hard time.

The next morning the pack house was buzzing with the arrival of Mara's friends. There would be five of them, three women and two men who apparently had all the peculiarities and none of them were werewolves. Julian was also part of the group and was just as happy about the arrival of his friends. Mara was very evasive about the nature of her friends, making Sage and Aaron all the more curious to meet them. To be honest, they weren't the only ones curious. Everyone was curious and even more the Alphas, Betas, especially since they knew Julian would mask their scents to make them look human or werewolf like he did with Amaia so they would have no way of detecting their true nature.

In the late morning they finally arrived. Julian opened a portal for them in Alpha Sloan's office. But not in the numbers he expected... Well they were but there were two young women and two young men, but also a little boy of two and a half, maybe three.

"Auntie Mara!" The little boy ran to Mara, opening his arms.

"What about us?!" Orion protested, raising his hands.

Mara gave him a big smile, before kneeling down and opening her arms wide for him: "I missed you, my little Gamma!"

Sage could see the sincerity of Mara's smile towards this little boy. She had a soft spot for children. One day she would make a wonderful mother. He could imagine her carrying their child for a moment. Then he came back to reality. True, they had exchanged a kiss a few hours before, but since then nothing, and Mara seemed to avoid any physical contact ever since. So there was still a long way to go...

"Auntie Mara more fun!" The little boy replied. By the reaction of Orion and Amaia and the nickname Mara had given him, it was easy to guess that he was their son.

"Why is he here? If I didn't take him with me it's because it's dangerous!" Amaia asked, irritated that her son was still ignoring her.

One of the girls rolled her eyes: "Relax Amaia, he's safe with all of us. Besides, would you rather he was in the care of Mama Kimya?"

Amaia winced and the woman added, "Yeah, that's what I thought."

"This is Haley, Peyton, Jude and Nash. And this little ungrateful one is our son Matteo. Guys, this is Alpha Sloan, Luna Vanessa, Alpha Sage, Beta Steeve and Beta Aaron. "Orion introduced everyone. The woman who had spoken just before was called Haley.

"Come give Mama a hug, Mama needs to have you in her arms!" Amaia ordered and without being waited on Matteo jumped into his mother's arms.

"Love you so much, munckin." Orion stated, hugging his mate and his son.

" Dakini is missing. She is late as usual." Amaia commented.

"No, I sent her on a special mission." Mara declared.

Someone knocked on the door and Sam walked in without waiting for permission.

"Sorry, I was with Sophia." He explained.

"And who the hell is this Sophia, that I'm taking care of her case." Haley roared, the sound she made was a weird sounf that Sage never heard before.

"Oh shit!" Sam gasped.

He shook his head and added, "Sophia is my little sister, beautiful. What's your name?"

"Haley, handsome, and good because I don't share."

"Good because neither do I!" Sam declared in turn.

"That's not fair! But I'm happy for you." Peyton bitched, trying unsuccessfully to hide her smile. She was very happy for her friend. At first sight, Sam seemed like a good guy.

"Make her cry and I will destroy you!" Nash warned Sam.

"Nash! You could be happy for me!" Haley snapped at him.

"I am, lil'sis. He just needs to know what happened if he hurts you." Nash shrugged.

"I will not, Nash.You can trust me with your sister." Sam swore.

"Well congratulations, Haley and Sam. I can leave to get to know each other." Mara stated.

"Gosh, I've forgot how boring you are when you're not Bitchy Mara." Haley declared.

"Language!" Orion demanded, plugging his son's ears.

Hayley shrugged: "Sorry! Don't repeat that bad word lil'Gamma. Anyway I want to know everyhing first."