II. Tornado - Part 1 - The Art of Loneliness

(Now)

Sage was doing his usual run when he smelled two scents he never thought he would smell again. He quickened his pace, still in his wolf form, he wanted to know for sure. Was it his mind playing tricks on him? He hoped not. For safety he masked his scent, wanting to stay hidden if this was a trap.

Arriving near the pack's border, he decided to change into his human form and take some clothes that were there just in case. As he approached, he saw two people waiting outside the territory. Was it really them? He took the time to observe them for a few minutes. Goddess, Mara was even more beautiful than he remembered. Although he could recognise her without a doubt, she had become a gorgeous young lady. He noticed, however, that her eyes had changed. One of them had kept its original brown/green colour, but the other was now a polar blue that reminded him of the blue of some icebergs. They made her even more unique than she already was, Sage thought in awe of her.

After a few moments he saw his father and the betas approaching them. When he heard that they both asked to stay, he felt the need to make his presence known. Before he really thought about it, he came out of the woods that hid him and said: "Mate!"

Like Mara, Sage was surprised to discover that despite the rejection, there were still electricity between them. This was his chance for redemption, his salvation. He had longed for this moment, for a second chance with her. But did he deserve it? Could Mara forgive him when he was unable to? Would she give him a chance to seduce her and prove to her that he could be the mate she deserved? And more importantly, how could he not screw it up?

"Alpha Sage, nice to see you again. I hope you don't mind that we want to stay for a while. We wouldn't want to cause you any trouble." Orion said, breaking the prevailing silence.

"Hey Sage, I know you weren't expecting to see me again and I'll understand if you don't want me in your territory." Mara added in a soft but emotionless voice.

Was he the only one who felt the sparks and electricity between them? Sage wondered. She hadn't used her title unlike her father and their Betas. That was a good sign, right? At the same time her tone was cold and distant. Damn, he was already lost to her. This was a bad start for him.

"Hello Mara. Orion. You are welcome. Where do you want to stay? Your house is still available but we have room in the pack house too? Orion are you staying in your parents' house?" Sage asked, trying to calm his racing heart.

Orion looked at Mara, waiting for her to reply: " I will stay in the pack at house if you don't mind. I've not attachment to my father's house."

Not a problem at all, the closer you're to me the better! Though Sage.

"I'm staying where she staying." Orion stated.

Fuck! Were they together? Sage started to worry. He checked Mara's neck and was relieved to see no mark on her. It meant that he still had a chance with her. But no mark didn't mean they weren't a couple.

"Of course, one room or two room?" He asked trying to appear calm.

Please say two! Sage begged in his mind.

"Two, please?" Mara replied for Sage's relief.

"But I want the room next to her." Orion demanded.

"Sure. Not a problem. You know the way, we'll meet you outside the pack house." Alpha Sloan said, laying a hand on his son's shoulder.

"Thank you! Alphas, Betas. See you there." Orion replied before getting back into his car followed by Mara who sat on the passenger side.

They all looked at the passed car and began to walk towards the pack house.

"You all right, son?" Alpha Sloan asked, once they were out of earshot of the warriors.

"I don't know... I've waited so long for the moment when I could see her again and now that it's here I have no idea what to do. I'm afraid of losing her again but at the same time I can't help but feel that it's already too late." Sage answered honestly.

"She's not marked and they don't share a room so that's a pretty good sign." Beta Aaroon said to encourage his best friend.

"I don't know. We'll see..." Sage muttered with a sigh

" Whatever it is and whatever you decide, you're not on your own. We're here and we'll support you no matter what you choose, no matter how things turn out. We're all in this together." Beta Aaron promised him.

"Your mother already knows. She's been bugging me through the mindlink. She's worried about you, can you put your walls down and let her talk to you please?" Alpha Sloan requested of his son.

Sage nodded and as soon as his walls came down, he heard his mother's worried voice: "Is it true? Is she really here? How do you take it?"

"Yes, she's really here. She's even more beautiful than I remember. You should see her, Ma!"

"I'm going to see her soon, your father told me she's staying at the pack house. I'm on the doorstep, This is your chance, Sage." Her mother replied.

"I know Ma, thanks for adding pressure." He commented wryly.

"Sorry... Their car is coming, where do you want me to put them?"

"As close to my room as possible. And Orion has asked to be in the room next to her." He explained.

Sensing his displeasure at Orion being next to Mara, she remarked, "He's her Gamma, Sage! Of course he wants to be in the next room. It's only natural! And I can assure you that nothing has happened or will happen between them. The relationship between a Luna and a Gamma is strong, but it is never love. So don't be jealous of their relationship, because it will only serve to undermine you."

"Noted!" He replied annoyed before cutting the mindlink with his mother. He knew his mother was right but it didn't make it easier to accept. He was indeed feeling jealous and had not control over it.