III. One Step Closer - Part 11 - Glory Box

Sophia knew she had made the right decision, but it wasn't easy. Rejecting him had devastated her. Like her brothers, seeing the love and respect between her parents, mates were something to cherish, something sacred. But forced to note that this idea was not shared by everyone. She shifted into her wolf before running as far as she could. She wished she could disappear, but she didn't want to worry her family again. After everything she had put them through. What a fool! How could she be so naive? How could she have forgotten how strong her father and brother were as Alphas. And from what she had seen Mara was a formidable enemy. Why had she allowed him to brainwash her into believing his pack was over. Bella's disappearance had deeply shocked her into giving in to Calvin's ideas and poisoning their drinks.

Suddenly she heard a noise behind her. Fuck, you couldn't be alone in this pack! She thought. However she was surprised, however, to see that it was Mara, alone. How had she managed to get here so quickly.

"Don't look so surprised. The advantage of not having a clear barrier with my wolf is that even though I can't shift, she's there all the time and so I have her abilities even in my human form." Mara explained to her through the mindlink.

"You did something very difficult tonight and believe me I know what it is. I've been there too and I really would have preferred to have my heart ripped out directly rather than experience the pain of the rejection." Mara added, coming to sit next to her.

"How long will this last? How did you get over it?" Sophia asked her.

"Weeks and I'm not the good example. I tried to kill myself because I couldn't take it anymore. Breaking your brother's heart over and over again was the most difficult things I've ever done. Then seeing him move on - as he deserved - made me realize that we will never be... That was the last straw. And when I woke up I was just angry at everyone. Anger helped me get over my pain but it's still not the right solution."

"I don't have your strength."

"Of course you do. You just need a little time to find it back. Give yourself time."

"As if... I'm so stupid!"

"No you're not. You grew up with a perfect model of mate's couple. It's natural to want the same thing. Mourn the loss of your mate because you need to, but remember that he doesn't deserve your tears. You cry for yourself, never for him. And stop blaming yourself, we would all have acted the same way. Love makes you blind. What would Bella say if she saw you?"

Bella... If only she knew she was safe. Oh, how she missed her. She could really use her friend right now.

"Well, she's not here, is she?!" Sophia snarled.

"She's safe, don't worry. I took care of her personally. I'm not telling you anything more so don't try to ask me."

She was dying to know more. She needed to know and to speak to her friend, to tell her how sorry she was... But she knew Mara will not tell her more. It was already a huge secret she just shared with her, also meaning that she was trusting her, surprisingly.

"You're not the only one who's been rejected or rejected your mate. Nash and Peyton are in the same boat as you. You're not alone and I know they'll be happy to help you deal with your rejection." Mara added.

"Okay..."

"I'm going to leave you because I know you need to be alone. I'm going to make sure you have time to grieve, but if you start beating yourself up about your past decisions, I'm going to be your worst nightmare." Mara warns her in a loud voice before standing up.

"Come to me if you're looking for a revenge. I'd be happy to help you." Sophia heard Mara in her head.

Two weeks had passed since Sophia had rejected Calvin and although the pain and hurt was still there, she wanted to keep going. Nash and Peyton were very supportive and despite the age gap a real friendship was forming between them. Their stories were as sad as hers and she felt angry for them both. What kind of person treats their mate like that! This helped her to put things into perspective and to want to move on. Even though she knew she needed time.