III. One Step Closer - Part 3 - In The Shadow

Mara had not expected to feel so much in one kiss. For the first time, she had longed for that kiss. She had wanted to know what it felt like to kiss someone she actually wanted to kiss. As she'd felt Sage's lips move from hers, she'd stopped him before she'd kissed him back. And boy did it felt good, but confusing. She felt things, emotions, she'd never felt before and didn't know what to think or do with them... She didn't like not being in control and yet she was unable to stop kissing him, completely addicted to Sage's lips. They both ended up breathless.

The kiss left her very confused. She was lost in this whirlwind of emotions unknown to her. At the same time she felt frustrated because she needed more. Much more than a kiss, much more from him. What was wrong with her? she asked herself. She regained her composure quickly enough, time was running out before their next move. They had to get their stories straight before they could return the bodies to the black paw pack.

Sage watched her hungrily, trying to decipher any emotion passing through her eyes. For a moment he thought he saw frustration, but it was so brief he wasn't sure. The Mara in front of him had regained her cold, composed posture, already thinking about their next move. Damn, how hot was she? And her lips, flushed from their kiss, made her irresistible. He wanted more, needed more. Now that he'd had a taste of her, he wouldn't let her go. He would never let her go! He moved closer to kiss her when she stopped him.

"Not now, we need to move quickly." She told him.

"You're right, later." Sage agreed.

"Sage... I'm not sure this is a good idea." She protested.

"Later, Mara." He said with a quick peck on the lips.

He stepped out of the shower and handed her a towel. He tried to hide his smile but to no avail. She could try to push him away all she wanted, he knew now. He had felt her desire in their kiss, there was no way he was going to let that go. All he had to do was tear down the walls she had built around her heart. But deep down, he already knew she was his, as much as he was hers. And she knew that too. There was no denying it now. The sparks between them would eventually come back, it was a matter of time and patience. As much as Sage lost his temper easily, he knew how to be very patient when it came to something he wanted, and God, did he want Mara.

Orion was almost disappointed to see Mara and Sage return 45 minutes after Sage had left. But Amaia told him to pay more attention to Mara's lips and on closer inspection he saw that they were swollen and redder than usual. If he had been alone he would have allowed himself a little victory dance. Finally a little hope for these two. Aaron, for his part, didn't notice the state of his best friend's lips at all, too worried about his state of mind.

"We need to agree on the version of events we're going to tell. No one can know what Mara is capable of." Sage declared in full Alpha mode.

Aaron was surprised, it had been a long time since he had seen his friend like this. It felt good.

"You have to take the blame, Sage. It makes the most sense." Mara declared.

"She's right your tantrums are known to be out of control, even outside the pack." Aaron added, also switching to Beta mode.

"We'll have to mutilate the body to hide the signs of torture." Orion commented.

"Not a problem. Anything to protect Mara's plan. Besides, it'll only validate the fact that I'm the one who took care of that asshole Gamma." Sage announced.

"Can we trust them?" Alpha Sloan opened a mindlink between them (Sage, Vanessa, Gamma Liam, Charlotte, Beta Steeve, Beatrice and Beta Aaron).

"Yes, 100%!" Sage confirmed, without a shadow of a doubt. In his heart and soul, he had no doubt about Mara.

"Okay." Alpha Sloan stated in agreement.

"We need the security that one of you will not talk. The survival of the pack depends on it." Orion asked.

"No one will talk." Luna Vanessa promised.

"Perfect." Amaia stated.

"That leaves us with Sophia's case to deal with." Mara stated.

"We can't trust her! We should lock her up until the situation is resolved. She chose a asshole over us, her own family!" Sage growled, struggling to process her own sister's betrayal.

"Sage, we're talking about her mate. Clearly, this has clouded her judgment." Luna Vanessa protested.

"Your mother is right. She did it with good intentions." Mara agreed.

"Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions." Sage shrugged.

Mara looked at Sophia, handcuffed with her hands behind her back, her eyes reddened, filled with tears and sadness.

"By the look on your face, I guess you heard everything, didn't you?" Mara asked her coming to sit next to her.

"What do you want. Are you happy now?" Sophia inquired.

"I know you did what you thought you had to do to save what you love. Besides, mates are sacred, so no I am not happy. Your mate dares to destroy something beautiful in the worst way possible. If it were up to me, I would kill him. But it's not my choice, it's yours. So Sophia what do you want to do with what you've learned about Calvin. It's up to you." Mara asked, snapping the cuffs off with a single motion.

Sophia rubbed her groggy wrists before declaring with determination, "I want him to pay! I want him to pay for using me like this! I shared my fears and doubts with him and he dared to use them against me, his mate. What kind of dipshit does that!"

"Okay take time to think about it." Mara told him.

"In the meantime, you can't be alone. And you are forbidden to use the mindlink." Alpha Sloan ordered in his Alpha voice. It was a bit harsh but after tonight he couldn't afford to take any chances.

Sophia burst into tears, "I'm so sorry."

"I know sweetie." Luna Vanessa said, rushing over to hug her.

"I'm disappointed Sophia and I need time. But I love you princess, nothing will change that." Alpha Sloan said to her, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"It's time to call for backup." Mara declared.

"Small circle or big circle?" Orion asked.

"Small to start. We're going to have some friends join us. We need some rooms." Mara stated.

A guard mindlinked Beta Steeve to notify him of Alpha Mason's presence at the border. He, Sage, Aaron, Orion and Mara decided to go and meet him. Alpha Mason was furious but apart from claiming the bodies, there was nothing he could do without selling himself. He denied any knowledge of the attack and swore that it was initiated by his Gamma without his consent. Sage had enjoyed teasing him, hoping that he would challenge him and finish him tonight. Unfortunately this was not the case. He promised to return the bodies tomorrow and announced that any intrusion into his territory would be considered an act of war.

On the way back, Aaron, and his father, couldn't help but notice the way Sage was holding Mara's hand. It was clearly a demonstration of possession. He was claiming his mate, in front of everyone. Sage was clearly sending the message that Mara was his Luna and by letting her walk slightly in front of him he was also indicating that he was letting her lead him in confidence and thus the pack as well. It was a strong sign! Aaron promised himself that as soon as everything will be over he will go looking for his own mate.