Chapter 10; A mother's warmth he always craved for!

It was a bright and a beautiful morning, Khalid woke up early and got dressed in khaki pant and a white shirt, he applied his favorite cologne, Dior sauvage and of course Arabian oud which will fovever remain his favorite brand. He loves anything that has to do with the company because they produce the best Cologne's.

It was weekend, a day off work and he couldn't be more than glad. He has many things to do in his list but he hardly has time, so the weekend is sort of a relieve for him.

He took his black shades and for his shoes, he's opted for an Italian slippers that's so comfortable. He glanced at himself for the last time in the mirror, satisfied with his looks. He made his way to his car and zoomed off.

After many multitudinous years, Khalid stood at the door step of the family he adored most. He couldn't remember the last time he stepped his foot into the house. He held them in high regard and what they did to him is something he can never repay them for.

With shaky hands, he clicked on the door bell and after some seconds, a lady who he guessed is their maid, opened the door and ushered him in. The moment he step his foot in, the amazing scent of bakhoor and scented air fragrance that wafted in the air reached his nostrils and he sucked in a breath. And the air conditioner caressed his face, It felt just like home. With slow strides, he made his way towards the beautiful and spacious living room and sat down on the Sofa, the lady bought him refreshments and made her way upstairs to inform her Madam about the visitor she got.He kept cracking his knuckles, something he hardly do.

Descending the stairs in her whole glory was his aunty Jamila, Junaid's mother, the woman whom he considers to be a mother figure to him.The woman who helped him during his childhood days and gave him a place in her home, who made him feel whole when others made him feel less.They weren't related in anyway, but she never treated him any less than junaid. She was adorned in her light pink Boubou, with her headtie tied to a simple yet elating style and her body still glowing, one can't say she's in her early 40's.

"Munari, I hope you've brought refreshment for the guest and made him feel comfortable." She spoke to their maid from afar. "Yes ma!" The maid exclaimed.

She made her way towards the living room. The moment their eyes locked, she stared at him unable to believe her eyes.

"Is this Khalidu that am seeing or is my eyes trying to deceive me?" She asked and the sides of his lips curled up at way name she called him. She was the only one who called him Khalidu. To her, it sounds cooler.

"Yes Ummah its your Khalidu, ina kwana Ummah" He squatted down and greeted. The corners of her mouth move up at a diagonal, widening her mouth.

she walked towards him and placed her hands on his shoulders and raised him up. "Get up my son."

She scrutinized him and a big smile crept on her glowing face and she engulfed him in a motherly hug. They let go of each other and they sat down at opposite ends.

"Khalidu you've all forgotten about me, you hardly call me and I don't even remember the last time I saw you. Haba khalidu, is it bacause I'm not your real mother or we aren't related that you're shunning me? " Ummah ended with a low voice and Khalid felt as if cold water was poured over him.

He kept mum finding words to explain the reason for his absence but he did what came to his mind.

He went and sat down on the floor beside Ummah's leg and held her hands "Ummah wallahi its not like that, I can never forget what you and Abba did to me in this life and I don't think I can ever repay you Umma, its just that I've been so busy, I hardly have my own time."

Ummah unclasped their hands and looks away. "I'll forgive you under one condition? "Ummah said and his heart somersaulted. "Whatever you say Ummah, you all mean the whole to me!"

"You have to stay in Nigeria and keep visiting me regularly to compensate for the days you forgot about me. I know if I ask you to stay with me, you won't, after all, all you know is work language, thank god I saw you before I died" ummah added playfully

He let out a light chuckle and laid his head on Ummah's knee while she caressed his hair. "Anything you say ummah, I'll come till you get tired of me."
"Where's Abba" He asked all of a sudden raising his head and looking at umma.

"Your Abba has travelled, you know how his work is, but he'll be back my next week"

He dipped his head in acknowledgement. Ummah felt warm, like a rain in the desert. And he would do anything he can to make her happy.

"Does Junaid knows you're coming?" She asked and and he shook his head" No umma, I wanted to surprise you all."
So sweet of you, he's in his room right now, probably sleeping. Go and meet him there meanwhile I prepare something specially for you.

"No need Ummah, I'm not planning on staying for long, I just came to greet you briefly."

Umma turned and looked at him with disbelieve, Despite her old age, she isn't like those to take no as an answer.
"No way, you should be lucky I'm not forcing you to sleep over. You aren't leaving anytime soon, you have to spend the day with us today and that's it."

He heard the affirmation in her tone and he choose to keep mum. He can't defy umma and even though, he has some things to catch up, but he shrugged them off for another day. Right now, he wants to enjoy the moment.

He found his way to Junaids room and knocked, he opened the door open and what he saw left him standing there mouth agape.

Junaid was sleeping, he was facing his stomach and one leg dangling from the bed, hence causing him to snore incoherently, and saliva drooling from his mouth.
He shook his head in disbelieve and went to wake him up, he planned to wake him up the simple way but he remembered something from their childhood and a mischievous smirk planted on his face.

10 days Ago
Khalid placed his head on the bench at school sleeping peacefully, the school hours ended and junaid being mischievous, instead of him to wake him up by tapping him, after all, he wasn't a heavy sleeper at all. He made 5 of his friends surround him with water bottles and before he knew it, they drenched with completely from head to toe. He abruptly woke up mouth agape, unable to believe what they did and they all broke into fists of laughter.
He knew junaid was the mastermind of this whole thing and vowed to avenge someday.

Luckily, there's a fridge in his room, he took slow steps to the fridge and removed a cold water, a sly smile on his lips, he proceeded by opening the bottle and aiming it at his face, before the water could touch his face, junaid sleepily half-opened his eyes and closed it again, he felt as though he was dreaming. if only he knew!!"What bought you to our house this early morning and are you planning on killing me this morning."

But this didn't make him discard his idea, he splashed the cold water on junaid's face and his whole body, which made him scream because like hell, the cold water made his entire sleep dissipate and he immediately got off the bed.

"Khalid are you mad? I repeat are you mad, which normal person does that?"
Khalid threw his head back and let out a loud, humourless laugh.

Junaid stood there, his nose flaring. Completely annoyed and pissed off. He clenched his hands into a fist and smacked him on the stomach. Khalid held his stomach unable to control his laughter. Which only annoyed junaid more.

Murmuring incoherent words, Junaid made his way towards the bathroom to take his bath. Khalid's laughter died down after some minutes and he settled on the Ottoman waiting for him.