18

few years later

namari alia femi

namari alia femi

"hello? namari can you pick xylah up from pre-school?" matiyah asked as i put my paintbrush in a glass of water.

"yeah, you good?" i asked.

"yeah i just got extra shit to do at work-"

"ma don't overwork yourself, i know you tryna make extra money last minute for xylah's birthday party i got it baby. stop stressing yourself out." i said and i heard her sigh.

"okay...i love you."

"i love you too, i'll see you at home." i said before hanging up.

i grabbed my keys and headed to my car, after we all graduated highschool we did and didn't go our separate ways.

i ended up moving in with matiyah and now i help her pay some of the bills and what not so she isn't under as much stress...but she still wants to give xylah everything she didn't get. but i make sure xylah gets all that too...come to find out xylah's actually autistic.

in a way i kinda knew as she started growing up, she wouldn't react to certain things like people normally do and she has this thing where she'll rub her ear or liked touching people faces only if she really knew you.

i made my way through traffic and made it to xylah's school, i pulled up my pants before making my way to the front office.

i went ahead and showed my id and what not to sign her out before the office door opened and i saw xylah walk in with her head down.

"i wanna go home." she said quietly and i kneeled down to her level.

"what's wrong? you been crying?" i asked seeing dry tears on her face and she shook her head no.

"aye? why my daughter in here upset?" i asked looking up at her teacher.

"she did take a fall during playtime but we placed a bandaid on the small cut." she replied and i heard xylah sniffle and wipe her face.

i picked up xylah and took her back to my car, as i buckled her in she started rubbing my face.

"what's wrong lil mama? hmm?" i asked and she started playing wit her fingers.

"i...i wanted to play but she pushed me and said i was weird..." she said as tears made their way down her face.

"don't cry princess, who pushed you?" i asked as i wiped her face.

"maylee..." she mumbled and i had to guess it was one of her classmates.

"ight we gonna get it figured out i promise." i said and she nodded.

"c-can we get starbies?" she asked looking up at me and i nodded.

starbies was her way of saying starbucks