Chapter Forty-Seven: Car Crash

17th of January 2019 - York House

"You are sure?" Anne asked staring down at the sonogram that had been handed to her, it was lovely to get updates about her coming grandbaby, but this news was not something that she had been expecting. 

Adeline and Simon sat across from her in the living room, they had been excited to share the news that the doctor had confirmed with them that morning during their check-up appointment. 

"Very sure," Simon grinned unable to believe that this was happening, they hadn't considered that this was something that they had to think about; if you followed the history of the British royal family, you'd be searching for twins until you reached the 15th century. 

It had been six centuries, 588 years since Queen Joan, the wife of King James I of Scotland gave birth to two boys on the 16th of October 1430, Alexander died the same year, however, while James ended up succeeding his father. 

"Twins," Anne whispered with a shake of her head, two little bundles of joy to finish off the Clarence family and without certainty would drown out any news about the Sussexes for weeks. 

Meghan would certainly be spitting feathers when she heard about this, her ever changing bump pictures were making the rounds with people trying to work out how far along the Duchess was. 

Some expected her baby to arrive in the next couple of months, the end of March being the latest that they suspected the baby would make its appearance. 

"We're keeping the genders between us," Simon noted knowing that they hadn't meant to find out, but now that they knew they wanted to keep it quiet. 

It was hard to believe that this was happening, that they were going to have twins in about three months; the twins due at the end of April would be most welcomed and loved. 

"It's such wonderful news. I had not expected this," Anne admitted with a shake of her head, she couldn't think of any twins closely related to Simon although there was the Spencer twins that could swing things. 

Eliza and Amelia were the twin daughters of the Earl Spencer and his first wife, Victoria Aitken; they were the most notable twins that Anne could think of after her mother's younger twin brothers. 

Jonathon had died shortly after birth while Roger was still going to this day, he had outlived Esther and would be turning ninety next year.

The sound of a phone ringing broke the silence and Adeline got to her feet to go and answer it, she was in the middle of winding down her royal duties in preparation for her to take maternity leave in a months' time. 

Adeline would be out of work until September with only minor appearances planned now that it was clear that she was expecting twins. 

Daphne and Sebastian were excited at the news that they weren't just getting one new baby brother or sister but two; with Daphne stating that it was two new sisters that she was getting. 

"Hello?" Adeline said answering the phone, a frown forming on her face as she listened to one of her grandmother's secretaries speak; it was not news that she was expecting to hear. 

Her heart dropped at the news that her grandfather had been involved in a car accident near Sandringham House. 

"Is he okay?" Adeline asked knowing that her ninety-seven years old grandfather wasn't in the best of health these days, he was slowing down, and she knew that he wouldn't live forever. 

There was never a moment that she would be prepared for the worst to happen, he had been the longest serving British royal consort, surpassing Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of King George III.