Chapter Ninety-Five: The Race Against Time

8 September 2022

Following further evaluation this morning, The Queen's doctors are concerned for Her Majesty's health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision.

The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.

Buckingham Palace

###

York House

"He can't be serious. There's no need for Meghan to be there," Adeline scoffed, slipping on her shoes as she watched the coverage that was now playing on nearly every channel since the announcement had come that the Queen was unwell. 

Normal programming had come to a halt as soon as the palace had announced the statement that had been prepared, this was occupied with the news that members of the family would be travelling to Balmoral. 

Behind the scenes, there was no escaping the drama that came with Meghan and Harry with Harry trying to find a way to invite his wife who was already leaking details to the press about what was happening. 

Charles had arrived at Balmoral at 10:30 that morning after becoming called from Birkhall where he and Camilla stayed during their time in Scotland. 

Anne had already been at Balmoral as she had been stayed with her mother and had been by her side since her health had taken a turn for the worse. 

Charles had called his three children at 10:45 after seeing his mother, when it was clear that it was time for them to start saying their goodbyes. 

Edward and Andrew were informed around the same time, a plane was being planned for the rest of the family from RAF Northolt on a flight to Aberdeen Airport. 

Catherine and Simon both opting to stay behind for the sake of the children who had no idea what was happening and was preparing for the worst. 

Prime Minister Liz Truss was informed of the Queen's declining health that morning by the Cabinet secretary, Simon Case, and received an update at 12:00.

The Leader of the Opposition, Sir Keir Starmer, was informed by a note passed to him by Deputy Leader Angela Rayner during a speech he was giving in the House of Commons which was caught on camera. 

At 12:30 Buckingham Palace made a public announcement expressing concern for the Queen's health; the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, made a brief statement of good wishes in response. 

BBC One continuously covered the Queen's condition from 12:40, after the first official statement; special reports were also run on ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5. 

Adeline had changed out of the outfit that she had worn from dropping the kids off from school, she had opted for something sombre but nothing that was signal that the Queen was declining. 

The only thing stalling them from leaving was the fact that Harry seemed determined that Meghan was to come with him to Balmoral that his wife should be at his side when his grandmother passed despite the fact that Simon and Catherine were not coming.

For the Queen's family members not already at Balmoral and unable to know how swiftly she would deteriorate, it would have been a difficult call: head there too early and risk spreading alarm; too late, and miss the opportunity to say goodbye. 

It was difficult and Adeline was growing increasingly fed up with Harry's attitude, she didn't want to miss the chance to say her goodbyes and the plane was nearly ready to make the trip to Aberdeen.