Chapter Eighty: Accession Day

6th of February 2022 - Sandringham House

The celebration plans for the year had been announced a month earlier, with the Platinum Pudding competition was launched on 10 January 2022 by The Big Jubilee Lunch and Fortnum & Mason throughout the United Kingdom to find a pudding to celebrate the Jubilee. 

The 3 February had been a muted affair with Buckingham Palace wishing Adeline a happy birthday featuring a picture that had been taken by the Duchess of Cambridge. 

Anannouncement being made that in honour of the Queen's platinum jubilee and herservice to the crown that Adeline would be created a Dame Grand Cross of theRoyal Victorian Order whileSimon was to be made a Knight Commander.

On 4 February, pictures and footage taken two weeks earlier in Windsor Castle's Oak Room were released, featuring the Queen viewing memorabilia from this and prior jubilees. 

The display included a golden jubilee letter from a nine-year-old boy named Chris, titled A Recipe for a Perfect Queen, which includes ingredients of "jewels, posh gowns, loyalty, hard work, healthiness, and courage". 

On Accession Day, Prime Minister Johnson, the Leader of the Opposition Sir Keir Starmer, and the Archbishop of Canterbury were among notable figures releasing statements congratulating the Queen. 

Tributes were also paid by former British prime ministers. Outdoor billboards across the United Kingdom, including Piccadilly Circus, were lit up. 

Special services were held in cathedrals. In Exeter Cathedral, the choir sang an anthem written for Queen Elizabeth I by the 16th century English composer William Byrd. 

Today saw Adeline attending a luncheon that the Queen was hosting at Sandringham House for pensioners, local Women's Institute members and charity volunteers.

 Following King George VI's death, the Queen's custom was to spend the anniversary of that and of her own accession privately with her family at Sandringham House, and, toward the end of her reign, to use it as her official base from Christmas until February. 

It had been opened for the public to visit during her silver jubilee, although like most of her private residences it was a place for the Queen and her family to escape to during the holidays. 

Sandringham held a special place in the Queen's heart, it was the place where her father had passed seventy years earlier. 

King George had gone out after hares on 5 February, "shooting conspicuously well" and had planned the next day's shoot before retiring at 10.30 p.m. 

He was discovered at 7.30 a.m. in his bedroom by his valet, having died of a coronary thrombosis at the age of 56. 

His body was placed in the Church of St Mary Magdalene, before being taken to Wolferton Station and transported by train to London, to lie in state at Westminster Hall and it was clear why the Queen wished to celebrate her 70th accession day here. 

No doubt the Queen was thinking of her own limited time, the accession of her own son to the throne and the future of the monarchy itself. 

Sandringham also held a special place for the Wales children, it was where their mother had been born when the house was let to her father, it was subsequently run as a hotel managed by the Leonard Cheshire charity. 

In 2019, the charity developed plans for a £2.3m refurbishment programme, which were deferred because of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic. 

The charity had since decided to discontinue the redevelopment and work with the Sandringham Estate to exit the lease.