Chapter Ninety-One: Heading to Scotland

2nd of August 2022 - York House

"Do we have everything?" Adeline checked making sure that they had everything for their summer trip to Scotland, it was going to be a nice change for the family who usually spent the time in France but this year had opted against it. 

Adeline and Simon had agreed that with everything that was going on that it was for the best that they didn't go away; the Queen's health was declining and it was for the best that they remained in the UK. 

It appeared most of the family felt the same way, nearly everyone was staying local as if they all knew that the time was coming that they all needed to be prepared for. 

The black mourning clothing was checked more regularly, items being updated and prepared for the eventual phone call that they all knew was going to come as they watched the Queen grow weaker and weaker. 

It was not easy for any of them to watch, they all could see how she fought to continue on with her duties and she carried on with the red boxes even when she didn't feel well or her best. 

"I think we do," Simon said appearing behind his wife, they had made the decision to drive up to Scotland rather than taking the train or flying like they would normally do. 

It would be their little road trip, kept quiet for security reasons and the family planned to make some stops with the children along the way; they wanted to make memories for them before things got turned upside-down with the death of the Queen. 

It was something that they had slowly started to prepare for as a family, Simon and Adeline having talked about what the death of the Queen would look like for their children especially in regards to the funeral. 

They had even spoke with William and Catherine on the matter, knowing that they had to all be in agreement on the matter especially since their children were similar ages. 

George, Daphne and Charlotte would be allowed to attend the funeral, the three older children being more able to understand a funeral than the others. 

Sebastian, Louis, Helena and Albert would be gathered together, they would be told of their Gan-Gan's passing in terms that were more suitable for the younger children just as they had been when Prince Philip had passed. 

Adeline sighed, running her fingers through her hair as she thought about the trip that they were going to take; a month in Scotland was just what they needed after the busy start to summer.

The Platinum Jubilee had been a success, people had thrilled at the fact that the Queen had appeared at the end of the pageant although there was talk about the weight that she had lost in recent months with concern spreading because of it. 

The fact that the Queen had suffered from Covid-19 in February along with some other members of the family had been blamed, although she had only suffered from mild cold-like symptoms and had returned to work within two weeks. 

But had missed the annual commonwealth service and the Royal Maundy service due to "episodic mobility problems" as well as missing the State Opening of Parliament in May for the first time in 59 years. 

She had not attended the 1959 and the 1963 openings as she had been pregnant with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, respectively. In her absence, Parliament had been opened by the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge as counsellors of state. 

On the 13 June, the Queen had become the second-longest reigning monarch in history among those whose exact dates of reign were known, with 70 years, 127 days reigned surpassing King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand but behind King Louis XIV of France.