Chapter Eighty-Five: Visit Scotland

4 June 2022

The Queen has been pleased to grant The Duke of Clarence the additional title of Earl of Ross.

The Duke and Duchess of Clarence will use the title The Earl and Countess of Ross when in Scotland.

The Earl or Mormaer of Ross was the ruler of the province of Ross in northern Scotland.

Buckingham Palace

###

The crowds cheered at the sight of the car pulling up outside Edinburgh Castle, the news having been announced just days earlier that Adeline and Simon would be coming to the city as part of the platinum jubilee. 

The weather was better than expected and the sun beat down upon the city, it was warm and everyone was excited to see the royal couple; they waved flags and cheered as the car door opened and Adeline and Simon climbed out of the car. 

The couple waving to the crowds before helping their children from the car, the twins sticking close to their parents while Daphne seemed a little more confident about the cheering crowds. 

Helena held onto Simon's hand with Sebastian taking the other while Albert stuck close to his mother and Daphne; the excitement growing in the air at the sight of the family. 

Robert Aldridge smiled as he stepped forward to shake hands with Adeline, greeting the Countess of Ross with a warm smile knowing that it had been a long time coming that the couple were granted a Scottish title. 

There had been a lot of discussion lately about the fact that Simon and Adeline didn't have a Scottish title like the other royals did, they had only been granted an English dukedom upon their marriage. 

The rest of Simon's titles were English and Irish in origin, it had been time to change that and the Queen had announced that morning that they were now to be titled the Earl and Countess of Ross in Scotland. 

A visit would be arranged later that year for them to visit the region with similar visits being set up for the other locations connected to their titles. 

"Your Royal Highness," Robert greeted shaking Adeline's free hand, he smiled knowing that they couldn't have asked for a better day for this visit and there was so much planned. 

The gathering to see the new Earl and Countess of Ross was larger than he had been expecting, the crowds in a grand mood as they cheered for the royals that had come to visit the city for the platinum jubilee. 

He shook the hands of Albert and Daphne, speaking with the two children naturally as they stood beside their mother; Albert a little more sigh than his sister when it came to this sort of thing. 

"Your Grace," Robert said greeting Simon with a firm shake of his hand, the Earl of Ross looked rather dapper standing next to the Countess; the man having always served the royal family well since they had married.

There had been no denying that Simon had proven himself since he had married Adeline, he had been a quiet support to his wife since their wedding and he had settled in without causing any fuss nor drama. 

From there the family went on to meet with some school kids that had gathered to see the royals, the cameras following the family eagerly as they greeted those gathered to see them and spoke with them. 

Daphne following her mother's lead as she spoke with those that had gathered, the eldest daughter of the Countess of Ross was certainly going to be one to watch in the future.