Chapter Seventy-One: The Funeral of Prince Philip

17th April 2021 - Windsor Castle

It was silent as Prince Philip's coffin was carried out of Windsor Castle to make the short journey to the chapel in which his funeral and final resting place would take place. 

The coffin was draped with his personal standard, carried his naval cap and his sword, and had a wreath of white roses and lilies placed on it with a note written by the Queen. 

Following behind was Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward, William, Harry, Simon and Peter, David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon, and his son-in-law Timothy Laurence, as well as the Duke's household staff. 

The coffin was placed onto a custom-built Land Rover Defender hearse in Edinburgh green that the Duke helped design by the Grenadier Guards. 

The Quadrangle, the point from which the coffin departed, was lined by the Household Cavalry, the Foot Guards, as well as military detachments from units with special links to the Duke. 

The weather was fine for such a day, the sun beating down on the castle grounds and a hushed silence had fallen over the place that had been the Duke's home for the last year or more of his life. 

Everyone in attendance was wearing a mask, the Queen having rejected the government's offer to do away with the covid protocols for the occasion but she had refused since everyone else had to follow them. 

A silence taking place after the coffin was loaded onto the Land Rover while the Queen, who was travelling in the Bentley State Limousine, accompanied by Adeline got into the car. 

Only when the Bentley departed did the national anthem start playing, with personnel from the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, The Highlanders, 4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Royal Air Force lined the procession route. 

The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery fired minute guns throughout the procession. 

The Duke's favourite driving carriage, accompanied by some of his grooms and pulled by his two black Fell ponies, Balmoral Nevis and Notlaw Storm, stood in the Quadrangle as the procession passed by. 

On the driver's seat of the carriage were laid the Duke's cap, whip and driving gloves. 

The car ride was silent as the procession slowly made it's way to St George's chapel, Adeline fixing the bracelet on her wrist as she looked ahead at her husband who was walking between her brothers with Peter. 

Outside the chapel waiting for the coffin to pass by stood the rest of the family waiting to pay their respects to the family, they bowed to the coffin as it passed by while the Bentley slowly pulled to a stop beside the chapel. 

The procession carried on to the West Steps of the chapel, the Queen climbing out first followed by Adeline with the Archbishop of Canterbury moving to greet the ninety-four year old monarch. 

Adeline followed her grandmother closely behind, keeping a bit of distance between them as they made their way into the chapel where they were followed by other members of the royal family. 

The Queen paused just before going into the chapel, turning around almost as if she was expecting to find her husband there like she had done many times before but instead this time he wasn't there. 

The national anthem ringing out as the family made their way into the chapel to take their seats, the Archbishop leading the Queen over to her seat while Adeline made her way to the opposite end of the bench. 

At the West Steps of the chapel, which were lined by the Household Cavalry, eight pallbearers from the Royal Marines carried the coffin. 

A guard of honour was formed from members of The Rifles, while the Band and Bugles of The Rifles played the national anthem and the Royal Navy pipers piped the side at 2:53 pm, followed by a national minute's silence at 3 pm.