31.

- Haniya -
I gave in and picked up the phone to call him. Just as I was about to click call, my phone started ringing.

I looked at the ID caller. It was an unknown number. I stared at it, debating whether I should pick it or not. I ended up deciding not to pick up the call. Instead, I decided I would pick it up if it called again. I put my phone aside and watched the call ring until the call turned off.

I was taking off my earrings when my phone rang again. It was an unknown caller again. I picked it up this time, I wonder who's calling me.

I picked up the call and stayed quiet. There was also silence from the other side, and we both stayed quiet until I decided to cut the call.

"Please, Ms. Haniya, don't cut the call until after we have our conversation. " a rasping voice. I didn't recognize who it was. "Do I know you?" I asked since they knew my name, but I didn't know them.

"Not yet, darling. Let me properly introduce myself. How about lunch tomorrow?" He asked, still in an authoritative voice. "I'm sorry, but i don't eat with anyone." I replied in a harsh tone.

What kind of guy is this, trying to ask me to lunch. "Oh, but Darling, I'm not anyone. I have things to tell you." "What things do you have to tell?" I asked, guessing he's probably tricking me. "About your husband Malik. I know your story, how you got here, you poor thing was kidnapped, shot and everything. It must have been very traumatizing." He said, trying to sound sympathetic. I didn't like this one bit.

I looked at the screen once before ending the call. Putting my phone down, I walked over to my window, looking at the road. It was so quiet compared to a few hours ago when the children were playing outside.

Even though I tried to distract myself. My mind kept going back to his words. What does he want to  say about Malik? And most importantly, who was he?

My phone had just stopped buzzing from continuous notifications. I picked it up and was slightly disappointed seeing that Malik hadn't texted or called me.

There were, however, many texts left from an unknown number.

Unknown no.: I still think you deserve to know the truth about Malik.
Unknown no.: I'll still wait for you tomorrow. At 2.30 at the restaurant.
Unknown no.: also, it's best this stays between you and me.

I kept rereading the text, and I didn't know what to do. Turning off my phone, I headed to bed.

- Next morning -
The morning was mostly the same routine we had before I got married to Malik. It was kind of nice.

I had finished having breakfast and was walking into my room to talk to a shower. When my phone buzzed, drawing my attention towards it.

Unknown no.: 2.30 today darling, just reminding you.

I frowned, looking at the text, I had eventually forgotten about the unknown caller, and here he texted me again.

I headed into the bathroom to take my shower, and I would eventually think about it. It was only one. I still had an hour and a half to think about it.

- °•○•° -
Looking down at my watch, I looked at the time. Three o clock, I couldn't believe I was walking towards the restaurant.

As I walked into the restaurant, it was completely empty, slightly worrying me. As I passed the door, a waiter walked towards me. "Ms. Haniya?" He asked, I nodded, and the waiter led me towards a table at the end of the restaurant. Let's hope I don't get kidnapped any time soon.

I was led to a table to see a man in a black suit sitting, smirking at me, seeing me walk towards his table. I stood in front of the table, and the man stood up in front of me. "Haniya, darling. You kept me waiting." He said as he pointed at me to sit at the table. I slowly nodded and took my seat.

"You better make my visit worth it." I said, looking at him. "I will. I most certainly will." He said, taking his own seat. "So what do you want to know?" He asks, pouring himself a glass of water. "I think a name would be great for starters." I asked.

"Ali shah." He answered, sipping on his glass of water. "Let me tell you a little fact. It's after my father. Although I don't like the name Ali Shah Jr. So Ali Shah will do, but for you, Ali would be great." I slowly nodded at him. I felt I heard this somewhere before, but I can't remember where.

"What else would the pretty lady want to know about next." He asked, looking at me. It honestly gave me creeps. "You called me here about my husband. I want to know about that." I said sternly.

"Oh, of course,  of course, but let's see how much the wife knows already." I nodded him to continue.

"Your husbands in the mafia." He said, as if I didn't know already. My face stayed still. Unfazed at his statement. "I guess he's told you that." He concluded himself. I nodded. "Then you know how he got into this too, or did he tell you old snobby story where everyone else died protecting him." He continued. That got my attention, but I decided to play along.

"Yes, he did." I lied. His eyes filled with hatred as I said that. "Then you're no less of a monster than him. He killed many people. To prove to his father that he could lead a gang, and now you're okay living with him." He said, each word filled with hatred.

"He's not a monster. He didn't kill anyone either." I said back, defending Malik. "Well then, Mr. Malik hasn't told his wife the whole story. For his first mission. He was sent to another gangs warehouse to steal weapons for his gang. His gang steals from others. Tortures others. He's been doing it since day one." He said.

"And how do I know you aren't lying to me." I asked back. "Darling, I'm trying to save from this monster. Leave him, or else he'll hurt you, too. He still tortures innocent people." He said back. "I'm sorry, Mr. Shah, but I can't believe anything you're saying."

"I knew he would have already fed you with lies. Good thing I brought this." He slid a brown file. I looked at him confused. He nodded at me to puck it up, and I did.

Opening the envelope, there were photos. Looking at them ine by one, I was looking at each photo. In one of them, it looked like he was shouting at an old man in the hospital, another one of him torturing some men tied to chairs.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Maybe there was another side to this. I can't entirely trust this man.

I decided not to get played into his games. "You said your name is Ali Shah. How do I know you aren't lying about who you are and everything?" I asked. "I knew you would take time to understand things. I want you to take my business card. If you make up your mind and understand what I have told you, then call me." He said, sliding his card on the table towards me.

I got up, buttoning his blazer. "I hope you make the right choice, darling, and hopefully, we'll be in contact soon." He said, turning and walking towards the exit.

I continued staring at the business card. After gathering myself and my senses, I picked up everything and left the restaurant.

My mind was blank for most of the evening, I didn't know what to make out from the meeting I had with Ali Shah.

'Ugh, what am I supposed to do right now. A random man approached me. Told me stuff about Malik and gave me his business card.' I sighed again and again.

'Should I ask Malik?' I thought picking up the phone and looking at his number, and wondering if I should call him. Clicking on his number, I called him, waiting for him to pick up.

*ring* *ring* *ring*

On the third call, the call was declined. I stared at my phone. 'Fine, if he's not going to pick up or call himself, I'm not talking to him either,' I huffed and threw my phone on my bed.

For the next few days, I loved my life noramlly, as if Malik didn't exist, since he's too busy to even text or call. Mama Baba did ask about him a few times, but I told them he was extremely busy and thought it was best I stayed here for a while.