57] Oh no.

I took in a deep breath before I knocked twice on the door. An enthusiastic Matsuda opened the office door to let me in. All the the others who were seated, stopped talking for a second.
"Oh Y/n, you're late "
Muttered mogi.
"Haha yeah my bad, I Overslept."
I played it cool while taking a seat in L's office chair.
"Ah yes you must be exhausted after your job" Mr Yagami said.
As if something had struck light , he immediately muttered.
"Yeah ofcoarse. She was working the whole day yesterday..."
Now that, usually, would be a normal statement. Except, today ....
I don't think it was.
It's like Light was trying to confirm something that occupied his shrewd mind.

Did he uncover my whereabouts?
Perhaps he's just getting suspicious.
.
.
.
I stayed silent while I gathered my suspicions and changed the topic.

"So..." I began as I cleared my throat.
"What are the recent updates on the case?

Mogi slammed his head in his hands.
" There's nothing to update. We don't seem to be getting closer to catching Kira anytime soon "
Everyone sighed almost immediately.
" Look, we can't lose hope mogi I-" Matsuda tried to speak but was cut off in a split second.
"Ukita DIED for this Matsuda."
Mogi's face was now red and his body was stiff, eyes starting to well up.
"I know.... I know he did, that's why we can't lose hope! Ukita didn't die for nothing!"
Matsuda managed to cry out in frustration.
Mogi grit his teeth.
"But don't you see how dangerous this man-!"
"How about you stop being so negative and try to find links for the case instead!?"yelled Aizawa.
"Stop it ,both of you!" Mr Yagami boomed harshly.
The room was dead silent now.
L made it even more awkward by sipping his tea loudly and placing the cup on the table again while staring at the computers all around.
"Its odd"
he muttered slowly.
We all looked at him confused. L raised his finger to the screen that showed the camera footage of his personal office. We all followed his gaze to the footage .
"The camera in my study."
L squinted his eyes so much that he would be able to see microorganisms.
"It's a loop" he muttered slowly ,while sipping more of the caffeinated drink.
Everyone in the room narrowed their eyes as they stared down at the footage.
"Y-your right!" Matsuda was quick to yell out as he neared the screen .
"How long has it been?" Asked Light who was looked suddenly intrigued.
L remained silent. He began typing something on his pc and then played all the security footage from yesterday.
Nothing.
"Maybe we're just overthinking this -"

Just then, in the passage footage a black shadow dashed across in a millisecond .
L paused . He rewinded it again, this time zooming in.
"What the heck! Slow that down ,Ryuzaki!"
And L did just that. He paused the footage and zoomed into the cloaked figure that came out as a blur.
" X.... " he mumbled with uncertainty, but I definitely had heard it.
"On what basis do you think that, Ryuzaki?"
I saw a crooked smile creeping up L's pale face as he held his head in his hands.
"I feel like.... Kira's playing us...."
"And X is playing Kira"
.
.
.
Almost instinctively My gaze met Light's chocolate brown eyes.
"But how do you know that it for sure is this ... X or whatever..?"
Muttered Mr. Yagami.
"When... you observe a criminal... you must start thinking like them..."
L said in his monotonous tone . I was quick to notice a glint of craze in his dilating pupils.
"Only X , is reckless enough to pull a stunt as such"
I knew that L would definitely notice what I did yesterday... but I couldn't avoid doing it because these tasks ... they're threatening my very existence right now.
I'd rather do them then get transported back to that hell hole.
.
.
.
" Y/n... we should get going" announced Light. I gave him a look of acknowledgment and a gentle nod to everyone in the Task force before Light and I exitted the room.
Our university was close by, a short 5 minute walk would be enough for us to reach. Walking alongside Light as the wind was hitting my face ... something we used to do as children as well.
"Y/n I'm sorry"
I stopped walking.
"What?"
"I said I'm sorry..."
"Sorry for what Light?"
"For whatever I'm doing.. that's making you so distant from me"
" what're you talking about?" I said laughing a bit.
"Y/n I miss us. I miss you. You're not being yourself with me. You avoid me, I'm not so foolish that I can't notice." His voice was laced with a bit of anger now.
" Is it because of Misa? I promise you Y/n! Misa means nothing to me!"
I didn't know what to say. Was I actually mad at Light? No right? I've always known his real personality so...
Maybe I should use this situation to my advantage . The next clue was in Light Yagami's closet right?
"You think I'm distant...then let's hangout today. Your house. Like the good old days"
I could see a small smile appear on Light's dim face.
"Everyone would love to have you home " he said smiling .
.
.
.
[During lectures at the university]

Light was sitting in a seat at the front while the only unoccupied one I found was at the very end of the hall. I was trying my level best to concentrate but seeing ryuk float about next to Light while yelling his name with shreiks wasn't helping. Sometimes I wondered how Light was able to stay composed when Ryuk was screaming into his soul.
From the side of my eyes I saw that living embodiment of annoyance making his way towards me.
He yelled
"ANOTHER ONE OF YOU BORING HUMANS AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH!"
my eye twitched.
"BUT THIS ONE CANT EVEN HEAR ME"
"DUMB IDIOT CANT EVEN GIVE ME APPLES"
I tried to focus on my work.
"SHE'S PREEEETYYYY!!

BUT HER NOSE IS KIND OF CROOKED"
I was trying so hard to not look at that idiot of a Shinigami who started jumping around me now.
"APPPLE APPLE PAPPPAPPAPAPAPA APPLE APPPLE PAPPAPAPAPPA FUUUUUUAPPLE APPALE APPPPLELELLE"
My head was hurting so much now.
"Everyone solve this sum " said the teacher pointing to the board.
"OMYYYYY GAWDDDE WHAT IS THAT GIBRISHHH !!! HUMANS WASTE HALF THEIR LIVES LEARNING MUMBO JUMBOO!" He shrieked.
"I CANT SOLVE THAT! I ONLY KNOW
2 +2 !"
"WAIT WHAT WAS 2 +2!? WAS IT 6?
OR WAS IT 10!"
"IT MUST BE FIFTEEN!!!! HAHAHHA IM SO SMART!"
My eye twitched.
"It's four you dumbshit!"
.
.
.
.
.

Oh, no.