64]Experimentation

A melancholic sunset painted the sky, casting long shadows. Wisps of clouds drifted lazily across the horizon like lost souls seeking solace in the fading day. I had kept my appearance neutral.
I wore a black hoodie and a mask to cover my face but tried to not stand out too much.

I stepped into the shadows as darkness gradually enveloped the world, and the once vibrant colours softened into shades of grey. I was standing right in front of the convenience store I worked in. My eyes were on the cashier who was lazing in his chair and chewing a piece of gum.
I could see his perverted gaze. The way he stared down teenage female customers and licked his lips. His name was Kaito Nakarmura. He was a suspect in a rape case last year and had been released because the girl took her report back after repeated threats from his friends. Not too long ago the store had received complaints from customers about his perverted gestures.

Normally, I looked at him as just a mere coworker. But today I looked at him like my prey.
My experiment.
I knew what I was getting myself into from the day I got transported here. Killing was inevitable.
After watching the anime I knew that it is possible to use the Death Note to manipulate people before killing them, but that they can only perform tasks that are within the bounds of possibility. Steadily I scribbled down the man's name on the piece of death note I had.

I'd already set the tasks and planned out the whole scene which was playing in front of my eyes now. First Kaito would go to the site which was a clearing in a forest where Light buried the Death Note. He would dig the book out and make the pit larger. Then he would rush back to his house. On the way, I would be standing at the bus stop across his street at exactly 7:35.
He would hand me the book and return home to write a suicide note addressed to his victims, confessing his crimes and how he was going to bury himself alive in the clearing of the forest to repent for his sins. While returning to the forest he would get hit by a speeding car and die on the spot.

I smirked to myself as Kaito's unfazed eyes suddenly garnered a dark energy in them. He was visibly looking depressed as he kicked the chair and rushed out of the store, leaving the manager calling out to him. I waited around at the store for about forty-five minutes and proceeded to the bus stop. My watch read 7:33.

"excuse me, do you know when the next bus arrives?" a strange-looking man dressed in a black coat, wearing a cap that covered his face asked from beside me.
"any minute now"
I replied looking around for signs of Kaito.
" I see," he muttered.
The bus finally arrived and he got up slowly, dusting his clothes off.
"Don't look around and make it obvious. There are still 2 minutes for him to reach"
as soon as I heard those words I whipped my head around to look at him. He was already sitting in the bus on the first seat. His face was covered by his cap but I could make out the smirk dancing on his malevolent lips. I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating this part, but it looked like he had a dark red aura around him which made it look like he was burning in crimson flames of death itself.....
Who the hell was that man?
.
.
.
From the side of my eye, I saw Kaito's dull figure approaching. It looked like all the life had been sucked out of him as he dropped a black bag beside me and turned on his heel immediately.
I watched in silence waiting for his fate to play out. As he sprinted across the busy road a red tempo rammed into his body, killing him instantly. People screamed in horror. A man walking by covered his daughter's eyes as he watched the blood spill out of Kaito's lifeless body in terror.
I walked back listening to the faint sound of an ambulance. I stopped by the prison cemetery.
Placing the death note in my hands I took in a deep breath. I would try to revive the first person Light killed.
Kurou Otoharada
I flipped to the first page of the notebook and with a swift motion erased the name written in dark letters as I stood in front of his grave. I began counting, the way Light counted to forty-five after writing someone's name in the book.
43..44...45.
I don't know what I had expected. Certainly not for the man to come crawling out of his grave but I had expected at least something to happen.. while I stood there completely still, waiting for at least some sign of life, nothing happened. I stood for about half an hour to confirm and then left. Disappointed. Had I been deceived?
As I walked along the pathway I kicked an empty can out of frustration.
"That old man deserves hell!" I muttered, frustrated.
"ɨ ǟɢʀɛɛ"
.
.
.
"what the hell?" I flipped around to see that mysterious Tarot card wielder sitting in an alleyway whistling. His raspy voice echoed and sent a shiver down my spine.
I looked left and right before rushing towards him. I had no more energy to be respectful to this man so I grabbed his collar and pulled him up wishing to wipe that smug expression off his face.
For the record, he had thrown dust in my eyes, scammed me into giving him my pendant, wasted my time and now he was playing these stupid mind games?
"death eraser, my foot! you're playing your useless games again aren't you?"
He laughed in my grip.
" ֆȶʊքɨɖ ƈɦɨʟɖ " he cried out.
"ʏօʊ ȶɦɨռӄ ʏօʊ ƈǟռ քʟǟʏ ǟ ɢǟʍɛ աɨȶɦօʊȶ ӄռօաɨռɢ ȶɦɛ ʀʊʟɛֆ?"
I let go of him and looked at the old man, with contempt.
"what rules?" I asked desperately.
"ຟhคt rนlēŞ?" he asked back.
I punched the wall in annoyance.
"you know what motherfucker? if you didn't know more than me, I would've killed you off ages ago"
The old man guffawed and smirked at me.
"ƈąŋɬ" he said with a victorious tone.
" Hey, Voldemort knock off, you know damn well if I write your name in that notebook you-"
"ơŋƖყ ɧɛ ƈąŋ" the man said waiting to catch the look on my face before laughing uncontrollably.
"who's,' he'?"
as if someone was even going to be around, the man looked around cautiously before coming closer to my face and cupping his hands around his lips. In a hushed tone, he whispered.
"ȶɦɛ rēคpēr"
.
.
.

[Hi guys I just wanted to bring to your notice that there is a book that is claimed to be inspired by insanity but is a fully copy pasted version of my book..
It's called 'insanity only for you'
I wasn't asked for any permission either . I did dm the author about it but they are unresponsive. It's outright plagiarizing my book ... I hope you guys can support me ]