65] Raye's Resurrection

"ơŋƖყ ɧɛ ƈąŋ" the man said waiting to catch the look on my face, before laughing uncontrollably.

"who's,' he'?"

as if someone was even going to be around, the man looked around cautiously before coming closer to my face and cupping his hands around his lips. In a hushed tone, he whispered.
"ȶɦɛ rēคpēr"
.
.
.
I looked away for merely two seconds, and the man had disappeared. He'd messed with my head, but he said something that made a lot of sense. Something like- you can't play a game without knowing the rules?.. he was referring to the death eraser... I was using it without knowing the rules.

I suddenly remembered what Naomi said that day, on the phone.Raye penber was dead. I took some time to remember what Naomi had told me over the phone. Something about a hooded figure following Raye for quite a while ,and then he just died. The weird part was that he had suffered from a heart attack. Did someone kill him using a death note? Or was it stress? I took out my phone and breathed out nervously as I dialed Naomi's number.

The line connected and I was met with her dull voice.
"Is everything fine?" I asked in a hushed tone. She stayed silent for a while but eventually managed to mutter a small yes. It felt like she had a lot to say, but also not quite, at the same time. I took a deep breath in.

" I've called to ask about Raye.."
I could feel her shift in her spot. She breathed out heavily.
"Raye died last week Y/n.. I told you- h-he had a heart attack and I -"
"His body-" I called out .
"What... did you do with it?"
Naomi stayed silent for a few moments.
"It wasn't possible to cremate him.
So I buried him behind an abandoned warehouse closeby"
I processed the information and bit my lip. If what I was thinking could work... then maybe Raye could be.....
I picked up my bag and bolted for my house .

" Naomi, don't cut the call, go to the spot where you buried him. Now."
She sounded heavily confused and shocked.
"And then what?"
I sighed and held my head.
"Dig him out"
.
.
.
.
Naomi threw the now dirty shovel on the side as she wiped a bead of sweat off her forehead. She dug out Raye and placed him beside the muddy surface as she looked at her hands in disbelief.
The same hands that had buried him were now digging his lifeless body out. The sound of my voice brought her back to reality and she grabbed her phone.
"Yes it's d-done"
I gripped the pen in my hand tighter as I wrote the last letter of Raye Penber's name and swiftly erased it using the death eraser.
"Great"
" X,please tell me you know what you're doing.." Naomi muttered.
I felt a throbbing pain in my chest as I replied to her.
"See the thing is... I'm...." I couldn't find the right words and I could feel her getting uncomfortable as she was starting to realise what my answer would be.

Just then, suddenly I heard her yell from the other end.
"RAYE! OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD"
I pulled the phone closer to my ears and felt an electrifying feeling rush through my veins.
"X WHAT DID YOU DO, HES BREATHING-! HIS HAND MOVED-"
"Naomi take him and go back to your hideout" I managed to mutter in my victorious state .

I couldn't believe my own ears. It worked! All I had to find is how Raye was killed in the first place and I would find out about that hooded figure soon. Now I knew why the death eraser hadn't workedon that criminal .
I opened my diary and wrote down the first rule that I had discovered.

《《 RULE NUMBER ONE: THE PERSON YOU ARE TRYING TO REVIVE,CANNOT ALREADY BE CREMATED. TRYING TO REVIVE SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN CREMATED WILL RESULT IN FAILURE. 》》

My doorbell rung and I rushed to open the door . Surprisingly it was Mr Yagami...
"Oh.. Mr Yagami please come in"
The older man cleaned his glasses and looked up at me with a faint smile .
"No , no, Y/n. Since it's Light's second week in solitary confinement, Ryuzaki has called a task force meeting to discuss the results."
I nodded my head in understanding.
"Okay I'll reach the task force office in-"
"No, it's at my house"
.
.
.
The whole task force sat on the sofa at
Mr Yagami's house. Mrs Yagami smiled as she brought each of a cup of tea. She patted my shoulders as she placed the cup on the nightstand beside me. L had been staring at me the whole time . He only looked away when I stared back, making him realise that I knew he was looking at me. I felt Mrs Yagami glare at him.

He took a sip from the cup and clicked his tongue in displeasure.
"Too less sugar" he blurted out.
Mrs Yagami tried to hide her grimace but brought him some sugar cubes anyway.
"Sooooo.... why did we have the meeting here?" Matsuda asked , quite casually.
"I have.... my reasons" L muttered out, monotonously.
He looked very uncomfortable .
"Mr Yagami. Mind if use this chair?"
He asked with a poker face.

Mr Yagami only motioned for him to go ahead. L got on the chair and sat on his haunches right away, as if that changed alot of this for him. Mrs Yagami passed by and I stiffled the laughter after catching a glimpse of the expressions on her face after seeing L's unique sitting style.

"The killings stopped for a week after Light was confined " L started while staring at Mr Yagami, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat.
"But they've started again since the past few days.."
Matsuda looked at me and then back at L.
"Doesn't that mean Light isn't Kira?"
L stayed silent for a while and then looked away .
"No. But he won't be under solitary confinement anymore "
I saw Mr Yagami tense up.
"What kind of an answer is that-"
"That's all I wanted to discuss thank you"
L jumped off his chair and kept the teacup aside. Just as I was leaving he called out to me.
"Y-Y/n, I have a little something to discuss with you"
I looked at him for moments and then smiled .
"Sure.. come in" I opened the door for him.
He walked into my place and looked around for a bit before turning to face me .
We made eye contact for longer than he could handle and he looked away, a bit red.

"Are you sick??"
I asked , confused.

"No, no , I'm fine..." he murmured.

"Anyway, I had a favor to ask you"

"Sure go ahead" I replied confused.

"There's this person that's closely connected to the Kira case.. I've been monitoring them from a while and I even spoke to you about them"
I looked at L puzzled.

"And?"
"And I have a feeling that ... that person is in contact with Light.. I want you to help me find out about this mysterious person , Y/n"

" Who is it?" I asked , heart rate rising.
L clenched his jaw.

" That person called X"
.
.
.