7- Windows

Neil looked up with a smile. He was laid across JJ’s lap, looking up at her as she responded to her messages. When she locked the phone, she groaned.

“Neil I told you not to do that. This isn’t a good angle.” With a chuckle he closed his eyes earning a light slap on his bare chest. “Stop it, that’s not funny.”

“So if I open my eyes, you won’t be smiling?” She huffed, giving him another slap on the chest. With a laugh, he opened his eyes. “Don’t worry,” he said softly with a smile on his face. “You’re beautiful.”

She scoffed. “Not with my three chins hanging out. Can you get up please, you’re making me feel weird.” Her phone buzzed on the bed but she remained focussed on Neil until he sat up halfway, leaning his back onto her. “Do you always like it when women hold you?” she whispered as she put her arms around his shoulders. Leaning down, she kissed his cheek.

“I’m a sucker for those gunners, what else can I say?” Neil turned his head to the side when he heard her laugh. “I think...”

“There’s a first,” she mumbled.

“Hey!” He laughed as he leaned in closer for a kiss. Before their lips could touch, JJ pulled back. She looked down at his face, slowly grazing her fingers along the wrinkles on his forehead. “Do I have something on my face?” he whispered softly. With a smile, she shook her head, looking over his dark brown hair.

“No, nothing. What did you want to say?” As her fingers were still grazing his face, he raised an eyebrow.

“Can I get my kiss first?” After a soft kiss, he kissed the top of her head and then turned around, his back leaning gently against her chest. Her arms wrapped around his shoulder once again with one hand grazing through his hair. They were facing his wall that had the large window open. “You know what sold me on getting this flat?” She hummed. “The windows. I know it’s stupid but it was the fucking windows. The other flat I had in mind was like a lot bigger, the kitchen was massive but the windows were small. And I love how big these are. The view isn’t bad either. But just look at it, it’s not those normal small ones you pull out, it’s like the ones that look like sliding doors and I love it. From my knees to the ceiling.” JJ pressed her cheek against his head and sighed.

“You like thinking,” she said as a matter of fact. “And it made sense you would want somewhere where you could sit with a cup of coffee and just look out.”

“Jay, I am telling you, you would have loved to sit in my old living room. The windows were from ceiling to floor and the amount of light that came in was phenomenal.” She smiled as she watched a plane fly by. “I miss it.”

“How comes you moved then?” She heard him sigh. “Not that I have a problem with it.” He leaned his head back with a smile.

“You’re alright.” After rolling her eyes, she pecked his lips and he straightened up. “I got a new job. I had an option between here and Manchester so obviously I chose closer to my family. So it’s the last of the holidays soon and then my little girl starts school again. New year, new school, why not?” His hand rested on her leg. “I’m sorry, I’m just talking about myself. Tell me how you got into baking?”

“What?” Blinking, she started down at him. His hands ran over her knee before he repeated the question. She blinked again. “I’m sorry, most people just ask me why I bake. Do you really want to know? It’s boring.”

“Hey, cara, I just talked to you about windows. Tell me how you got into, who inspired you and when you fell in love with it. I want to know.” Dropping her hand onto her knee, she leaned back with a smile.