33- When You Know

Hey everyone! Really sorry for not releasing this chapter on Friday. I had a super busy week and it completely slipped my mind. So I do hope you enjoy!

* * *

Neil looked up from the book and smiled when he saw JJ frowning at something she was reading.

"Daddy stop staring at her. Read your book."

JJ looked down and laughed. "Why hello there beautiful."

"Hey there handsome," he mumbled with a smile.

"You guys are gross." Lara sighed as she shut her book. "Well I feel like having a bath."

"Nope. I told you if you want a bath then to have it before. Now it's too late. A shower it is."

"Fine," she huffed.

"Better be fine. You got no other option."

After making sure she was in the shower, Neil jumped back into bed making JJ laugh. He wrapped his arms around her and sighed.

"Someone is happy."

"How can I not be? I'm in the arms of my wonderful beautiful girlfriend and I couldn't be happier."

"You're so cute." Neil smiled as he rest his head on her chest. Her fingers ran through his hair.

"You know I usually hate it when people touch my hair. But when you and Ma do it, it's soothing."

"Well I'm glad I remind you of your mother."

"That's not what I meant," he said with a laugh. JJ gently pulled his head up with his hair. "How can I help you?"

"Nothing just wanted to see you smile."

"Well I smile everytime I look at you."

* * *

"Papa, can I ask a question?" His father looked at him from the single recliner chair before glancing back to the TV.

"You already did now shut up." Neil groaned as he watched his dad change the channel. "Okay what is it? You're so grumpy today."

"I am not grumpy."

"You're lying to yourself boy. Is it because your girlfriend left you to work? Don't blame her."

"Papa! I'm serious here."

"Go ahead."

Neil sighed as he looked at the bottle of beer in his hands. "How do you know when you're in love? When it's real?" Andre stayed silent for a minute. Then with a smile on his face, he walked to the stereo.

"When the moon hits your eyes like a big pizza pie that's amore," his father sang. Neil chuckled as he watched his father dance.

"I remember when nonna used to sing this song all the time. She had such a lovely voice."

"She really did. She may not have been my mother but she loved me like a son before I even married your mother."

"Oh I don't think JJ's parents are going to be like that. I don't even think they're like that with her."

Andre pondered on the thought before lowering the volume for the music. "Can I ask why she doesn't like being called Judith. It's her given name, no?"

"Ah, I never understood why at first until the first dinner I had with her parents. It must have been like a month or two into our relationship and I just remember her being so closed off. When they call her Judith it's always in a condescending way. Like you know better Judith. Why would you do that Judith. I don't entirely agree with your point, Judith. I'm aware, Judith, but... I hated her parents doing that to her and I totally agree with the no use of Judith in the household. I only call her that if we're arguing and even then it's very rare." Neil chuckled, drinking the last of his beer. "I took Lara with me the two times we went and they tried to slyly ask me how Lara was born and why I was a single father. Jay, bless her heart, knew what would happen if I did tell them the truth and she tried to tell me to tell them later but I told them at the dinner table. Papa, if looks could kill I would be buried with nonna. I mean her dad wasn't too bad. To be fair he barely said anything. And after the dinner he actually called to apologise and said we all make mistakes but was glad I found my way back. But I did explain to them how I changed my life around, that Lara goes to church with mama almost every Sunday and I may have also lied about how often I tag along." Andre laughed before patting his sons shoulder.

"JJ's a very special girl, son. Be good to her and keep her."

"Of course. I wouldn't want to let her go."

"Now to answer your question. To be honest with you, I knew I loved your mother when I thought I was losing her. I mean she was just getting her appendix taken out but the thought of never seeing her smile or hear her laugh killed me. Falling in love is...well, different. There is no real way. But you know it's real when they make you work harder to be a better person or when they take you and your flaws and learn to love then because that's you, someone who doesn't want to change you and someone, which was very important for me, who you could come to when times are hard and you know they'll comfort you without judging you. I was going through a shit load of stuff when I was with your mother. But I knew I was able to break down, she will hold me in her arms and everything would be okay."

Neil nodded his head and then took a sip of his beer. "Thanks Papa."

"I'm glad you got your answer. I knew it the moment you brought her home."

"Was it that obvious?" he asked with a small laugh.

"Of course. My boy's in love!" Andre laughed at the blush on his face. "What was it?"

"From the first time I saw her smile and looked into her eyes I knew she was a keeper, Papa. That smile has brought a whole load of joy and I keep telling her I'm falling in love with her more and more everyday but honestly speaking I think she stole my heart the minute I heard her laugh."

"I would have thought it would be the way she is with Lara. Who knew one smile could be so powerful."

"Oh don't get me wrong, that's just one of the many reasons why I love her. I mean the smile she brings onto my daughters face is breath taking." Neil sighed. "She's my everything, dad." He then sat up straight and looked at his dad. "Hear me out, I promise you I'm gonna marry this woman. I swear it. I can't imagine my life with anyone else."

"You'll be lucky if she even wants to see you today. Dumbass."