1- And Then There Were Two

He watched her. Watched as her frantic hands shoved random items of clothing into an old suitcase that had gathered with a blanket of dust. She looked up, nostrils flaring. He knew she was waiting for him to say something, but he stood against the door, his arms crossed at his chest suppressing a smile. As much as Neil hated himself for it, for the last two weeks he prayed every night that she, the mother of his new-born child, would finally have enough and leave.

Penny, the mother of his child, growled when he didn't say anything. No please stay, Penny. No, you're her mother and she needs you. Truth be told, there would be no baby if she had found out about the pregnancy before it was too late. She hated being pregnant, she hated what pregnancy did to her and most especially, she hated her daughter. Penny knew that Neil had stayed with her all this time just because he wanted custody of the baby. She couldn't care less.

More than anything, she hated herself for not taking the pill the morning after having sex with Neil. It really does take one time. One great time.

She pulled the zip and groaned when it got caught on the deep red scarf. Annoyed, she opened the luggage once again, creating a puff of dust to float up and tickle her nose. Pulling out the scarf, she tossed it on the floor, the deep red the only colour on top of the dark clothing. After she closed the luggage and placed it on the floor, she waited for anything and let out another growl. She made it to the front door when she heard his voice.

"You left your card," he said calmly. That's when she knew he was angry.

Penny closed her eyes and exhaled sharply. Once she opened them, she kept her gaze on the chipping white paint of the door. She never liked the house they were living in but after her parents had kicked her out, Neil had offered her a place to stay and she couldn't refuse. She then turned around to face him before storming over to him and snatching it off his hand. She glanced over the scratches on his hand that she had left and huffed. At least I left some mark.

"What do you want me to tell her?" he asked with a sigh, already knowing she would give an answer he didn't like. Neil watched as she rolled her eyes.

"Be creative. Might as well tell her I'm dead so she never looks for me."

When he was about to respond, he heard the sharp cry of his daughter. With one last glance at the glaring woman, he walked down the hall and into his room. Just before he picked up his daughter, he heard the front door open and slam shut. Cradling her into his arms, he smiled down at her, quietening her down.

"Bad woman is gone," he whispered. "It's just us baby girl, it's just the two of us," he said softly into her ear. Leaving a kiss on her cheek, he felt her hand on his cheek and kissed the inside of her palm. "Daddy will take care of you my sweet Lara banana. You're safe with me." He sighed. She closed her eyes slowly, moving her head closer into his chest. "You're safe with me," he whispered.