9

The next day I woke up to Jj fighting with my dad again. Then Luke left like every morning.

"Show me" I insisted but Jj didn't want to. "Jj you're bleeding and I can see marks through the t-shirt" I cross my arms as I observe the seen-through t-shirt my brother is wearing.

"It's nothing Jules, you didn't go get help because of what he did to you" "he hurts you more Jj..." I can see a single tear rolling down his cheek. "I'm so sorry" I then say and wrap my hands around him. I hear him sob a few times then he lets go.
"Don't you uh, have work ?" he asks out of the blue and I check the time quickly. "Yeah, gotta be there soon. What about you?" "I'm actually helping Pope with some deliveries to the Country Club" he informs me and I smirk, "this is really your place huh, should call you Country Club" I joke and he gives me a confused look, "who calls who Country Club?".

"Barry Rafe" I quickly say without articulation. "What, Barry calls Rafe like that? How do you know that?" "because Rafe is a drug addict so like, 90% of the time I go for dads drugs Rafe is there" I explain. That's chill, didn't even have to lie.

"Right, hey be careful though" he hugs me before leaving to join Pope.
I should get going to anyway. I take my stuff and bike and take the main road to go to work.

It's an usual day. I start recognizing faces from the Country Club Restaurant. Some people come here legitimately every day. At least every day I work here.

Do these people really just spend their days playing golf and drinking expensive cocktails on the terrace?

"Hello sister" "Jj, Pope" I smile as I finally see two familiar faces. "How's it going?" I ask and serve them both a glass of water. "You look exhausted" "that's just the heat, otherwise it's fine. Right man?" replied Pope and gazed at my brother, "yeah it's super fun" he smiled sarcastically.

"I'll go take these beers already, join me in like 15 minutes" then adds Pope and walks through the Country Club to the parking lot.

"Anyway, how's the work here?" "it's alright actually, they pay well" I grin and drink some water. "Yeah? Hey what about a party at the boneyard tonight? John B's idea" suggests Jj.
"I can't decline such an offer can I?" I grin and he drinks some more. "So it's settled-" "did you hear that?" I cut him off and he looks baffled. I don't know if I'm fucking crazy but I swear I heard Pope screaming.

"Follow me" I pull his hand and run in the direction of the parking lot.

"Holy shit" Jj runs towards Pope who was laying on the sandy ground with his whole face covered in blood. "Pope, oh my god.." I mumble as I carefully touch his face. "Man what Kooks did this to you" asks Jj all stressed out, "it was uh..Topper and Rafe" he struggles to breath and to speak but I heard the two names clearly.
"I'm so gonna kill then two I swear to god!" shouted my brother and kicked a rock with his feet. "I'm so done with this shit bro...they get away with everything" Jj runs his fingers through his hair nervously.

"Jay just calm down and help me with Pope right now!" I order as he is just mumbling stuff to himself. "Right" he nods and helps me carry Pope to Hayward's truck.

"Go, I'll catch you later I need to finish my shift" I inform the two of them as they get in the car. "See you" then they drive away.

I can't believe he did that, what kind of monster does that. I take a deep breath and go back in the restaurant, "Miles, I'm so sorry okay but uh my father, he got into an accident kind of..I need to go, help him" I lie and bite my lip hoping he doesn't see right through me.
"Yeah, sure" he nods without anything else to say, "really?" "Julienne you work your ass off. You can leave once in awhile when you ask. Now go, be careful kid" he taps my head gently and I smile at him. I mouth a thank you and run outside.