24

"What was that about?" I asked when he closed the door. "Rafe?" he doesn't say anything, he ignored me and walked to the living room. He was breathing heavily. "Fuck!!!!" he then screamed so loud I stepped a few steps away from him. He kicked into a sofa and mumbled something to himself as he pressed his hands against his forehead.

"Rafe talk to me..." I try to sound as calm as I can as I keep my distance. He reminds me of my father, which scares me.

"Why? It's not like you can fix it, can you?" he turns his head to look at me. "Well-" "Jules you can't help me, you don't have that kind of money. You're a Pogue" he snapped back and I open my mouth, "what is that supposed to mean?" "you know what it means Jules, look this isn't your business alright? We're not dating, why do you care" "I thought we were over that Pogue Kook thing" I protest not understanding his aggression.
"That's never going to be over Maybank" "so what are we doing? I thought yesterday mattered something-" "we made out, cool I guess whatever but now I got bigger problems okay I mean- I mean that Barry guy- he...he's dangerous, you know?" he explains, his tone completely changed. His every movement terrifies me like if he's going to slap me. He struggles to talk and his breathing remained heavy.

"I know-" "so don't- don't make me the bad guy in this" he scoffs and I shake my head, "what are you talking about Rafe? This isn't about you being the bad guy this is about the fact I mean nothing to you. This is about us" I try to explain and he lets out an ironic smirk, "Us? Jules seriously I can't do this right now, I need money and you're not going to help me with that" "because I'm a Pogue?" I raise my eyebrows, "yeah Jules, you're a Pogue" he nods.
"Wow okay, I'll go then" I smile sarcastically. "Yeah you do that" "you're unbelievable" I stare at him, barely recognizing the Rafe Cameron from last night.

I grab my bag and slowly walk out of their house. I open the door and let out a gasp as I am facing Sarah. "Jules?" she questions and I stare at her with my mouth open, "what are you doing here?" "here? I love Tannyhill..." "girl seriously?" she can't suspect anything. I immediately let out a giggle, "joking of course, I was waiting for you, actually" I lie, "the door was opened so I went in but uh..Rafe, told me you weren't here" I force a smile, "you went to see me?" she smiles and I nod, "well I can't right now, my dad is coming back soon and we planned to go play golf" she explains, "but I'll call you" she hugged me and I grinned, "great!"

After she went back inside I decided that before going home I'll stop at Barry's.

"Maybank? Daddy's order?" I heat him exclaiming from his trailer as I arrived. "Nah, I wanna talk" I shook my head and he stepped out of his trailer and sat on a bench. I joined him and took a deep breath, "how do I put this...I know Rafe owes you money-" "yo girl how do you know that" he furrows his eyebrows and I bite my lip. "I overheard him" I lie, "at the Country Club- that's not important, how much?" I ask and he smirks, "why?" "just tell me how much is it" I beg and he takes a deep breath and scrolls through his phone for a few seconds. "250 bucks" he then says and I open my mouth, shocked. That's a lot of money.

"Okay well, I should have something here..." I pull out my wallet with my money from my last shifts at the Club. "Yo- why you paying that shit for him?!" "that's not your business" I fake smile and give him 115 dollars. "That's all I have right now" he takes the money then gives me a very confused look. "You need that money more than he ever will Jules, I dunno what yo doin" "don't beat him up anymore okay?" I say quietly ignoring his previous remarks.
Barry immediately turns his head back to me, "wait- are you fucking with him?" he shouted and I scoffed, "no?" "you were there today?" "I was with his sister but I did see his face after you left" I deny and he slowly nods not fully convinced. "Uhuh, look Julienne, he got what he deserved" he then says, "that's how this business works, you don't pay you are fucked" he explains, "Kooks like him don't pay me when they have a house bigger than the whole street at the Cut-" "I get it. I'm not Kook myslef you know my relationship towards them. I just think violence-" "right, don't worry Maybank" "I'll bring more money when I'll have some" I then get up and walk back to my bike.