Chapter 23 : Disgusted

Suddenly, I feel a weight lifting off from me as a blanket is thrown over my body, covering my naked and disgusted self.

Immediately, I scramble to distance myself, my instincts screaming for escape. My body, trembling with a mix of terror and relief, propels me away from the threat. I pull myself into a tight ball, knees pressed against my chest. Tears, unbidden and uncontrollable, stream down my face as I could still feel his hands around me. The sobs erupt from the depths of my being, a guttural release of the pain and fear that now reside within me. The sound of my own cries fills the air, drowning out the chaos of the world outside.

I suddenly get pull in someone's embrace. Familiar one. The scent of his familiarity, a comforting mix of soap and the outdoors, wraps around me, grounding me in the present. I feel the steady rhythm of his heartbeat beneath the palms of my hands, a reassuring cadence that serves as a counterpoint to the chaos that still echoes in my mind.

"Ssshh ! calm down. I am here, sshhhh" I hear a voice. Voice that unexpectedly brings a comfort to me. I looks up only to see my twin's concern eyes are already on me.

I tightens my fist on the fabric of his shirt as I feel his hands tighten on me. I let out a heart-clenching sob.

"Sshhh Olivia, you are safe." He pulls me closer to his chest.

As he cradles me against his chest, I become acutely aware of the contrast between the harsh reality of a world tainted by betrayal and the safety of Mason's protective embrace. His arms, like an impenetrable fortress, shield me from the remnants of fear that linger in the shadows. I surrender to the security he offers, allowing myself to be carried away from the precipice of despair.

Mason's body radiates warmth, and I press closer, seeking solace in the tangible reassurance of his physical presence.

As Mason holds me in his protective embrace, the sobs that have wracked my body leave me gasping for breath. My chest heaves with the weight of an overwhelming sadness, and I find myself choking on a mix of tears and emotion. Each breath feels like a struggle.

Mason pull me away from him as he cups my face in his warm hands.

"Take a breath, Via, please, take a breath" He says softly, almost pleading me.

"I-I- he- Ma-Mase- h-he- is-" I choke on my word, gasping for a breath.

He immediately pulls me in a hug.

"Sshh, he is not here, anymore, Via, he will not harm you anymore." Mason says, looking in my eyes with his own stern eyes.

Tears stream down my cheeks, as I hiccup. Mason senses the constriction in my chest, the physical manifestation of the emotional turmoil that still grips me. His arms, once a source of solace, tighten around me in a silent acknowledgment of the pain I'm enduring. I bury my face in the crook of his neck, seeking refuge from the storm that continues to rage within.

Mason's fingers, calloused and comforting, gently rub circles on my back in a rhythmic pattern. In a swift motion, he picks me up effortlessly. I cling to him, hiding my face in his chest.

<<°>>~<<°>>

I am tired. Exhausted. My tears are now dried.

My body felt like an empty vessel, drained not only of tears but of any residual warmth that love had once provided. I replayed the dreadful moments in my head, his once-familiar touch now a source of repulsion.

How had it come to this ?

The person I believed would shelter my heart was the one who had attempted to shatter it.