Chapter 8: Why Do You Care?

Blaze's POV:

Awesome, the girl who I hate knows I'm weak. Why was I even crying? Was it because it's my first day? Was it because of dad? Because of Callum? Because of Lily? Because of Mia? I don't even know. Maybe mum was right, I really am a wimp.

I hastily wiped my tears from my face with my scarred hand. I slowed down at the front of the school's glass doors, panting and puffing.

"Oi dumbhead!" Brandon called next to me.

I groaned internally.

"What?" I barked, shooting him a glare.

"Nothing, just reminding you that you're a dumbhead." He snickered along with his 'friends'.

"Well, you don't need to be reminded you're the rich, spoilt kid, do you, Brandon? It's in your goshamn name. BRANDon." I snapped back.

He scowled, and a few of his friends 'oohed' before snapping their mouths shut when Brandon shot them a silencing glare.

"Well, it's not my fault you're the one that bought his way into this school instead of getting in on talent." He smirked.

"Speak for yourself, BRANDon, you bought your way in too. Either way, I would've had a higher chance of getting in on talent than you." I snorted.

"What do you mean, you're dumb!" Brandon hissed.

"Says the person who forgot the first American president." I retorted.

"Whatever Korean kid." He spat out the word 'Korean' as if it was a piece of dog poop.

"Oh, so we're being racist now, is it? Alright then, spoiled white brat." I smirked.

There was now a crowd around us, watching us bicker. The crowd 'oohed' and made all kinds of weird noises.

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: All of the things I include here I do not direct or mean personally, I am a person standing up against racism and I am only saying it for the sake of Brandon being a bully, so I apologise if any of this offended you 🙂)

Brandon spat at me, shooting a final glare at me before he stormed off, his buddies trailing behind him like baby chicks following their mother, minus the cuteness or innocence. Or at least, not cute to me. I thought, glancing at the girls staring after Brandon with awed faces. Lovesick simps... I thought with disgust. I huffed and walked into the school cafeteria with my hands in my pockets. I walked around and saw a few people in my table group sitting together, chatting and having fun. Why couldn't Cassie just stay here instead of following me? I thought with scorn and walked into the almost empty hallways.

"Blaze! Wait up!" Cassie cried out behind me.

I groaned again and turned around to meet her unwavering gaze.

She paused, slouching down slightly, putting her hands on her bent knees. She panted, her breaths alarmingly quick. She caught her breath, then met my eyes.

"A-are you al-alright? I s-saw y-you and you wer-" She began, before I cut her off.

"I'm fine." I snapped.

She hesitated, then spoke again.

"Are you sure? Because when I saw you crying..." She didn't finish her sentence.

"Look, why do you care?" I hissed.

"Well, because we're all human." She shrugged. "I can help you, you kno-"

I pinned her against the wall, my arm on her neck, preventing her from moving anywhere. I stared into her deep eyes, and I could see the slightest hint of fear.

"Listen up, Evans." I spat.

That- that... excuse for a good name. It only ever reminded me of dad, and how he was cruelly arrested.

"None of my personal space is any of your business, so why don't you stop sticking your nose in it hmm?" I growled, pushing my arm deeper into her neck.

"Well, why don't you understand the fact that you don't want to go to jail for choking me, hmm?" Cassie smirked.

And then it went by really quickly. She wound her leg around mine and jerked it out of place, causing me to lose balance, she then grabbed my arm while I was in mid-fall and yanked it up. I had absolutely no time to react, and before I knew it, we were in the exact same position we were in mere seconds before, except I was the one against the wall and she was the one pinning me.

"Oh look, looks like you're not choking me, are you?" She smirked, before letting me go. "Look, I don't know why you hate me, but just remember that just because I'm a girl, it doesn't mean that I'm all weak and defenceless like other girls, you got that?"

And then she walked off, without a word, her tote bag swinging back and forth.

Well damn, what an amazing day I had.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there my beautiful people! Yes yes, I know, I updated pretty quickly hahah. Anywho, like a said earlier, I do NOT support racism of any kind, and I apologise if you felt offended when you read that. All that aside, how are you guys finding the book so far? Also, like I said earlier, Blaze is going to be and absolute jerk in the next few chapters, so... yea

- KK