Chapter 21: A check up

Adair's POV:

I fiddled with my fingers nervously outside the hospital room, cold beads of sweat dripping down my forehead. Cedar sat beside me, crying softly, burying his face in my chest. I hugged him warmly as he shook with tears. I bit my lip and a few tears slipped down my cheek. The doctor left the treatment room and walked over to us, and Cedar mopped his face with his hands, looking up at the doctor.

"We're very sorry, but your mother has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer." The doctor murmured.

The words hit me hard. Cedar looked as if a dementor had just sucked his soul, and his jaw dropped. A shiver went down my spine, and Cedar buried his face into my chest again.

"Can... Can it be tr-treated?" I asked, my voice wobbling, and I silently prayed that it could.

The doctor shook his head. "It's too late, she can't be treated at all. The cancer had gone untreated for several months now. Luckily, she still has a bit of time left."

"How much time?" Cedar croaked, before clearing his throat.

"Around 3 years." The doctor sighed.

I gulped, and held Cedar close to me. Cedar choked out and began sobbing into my shirt. The doctor stepped aside and beckoned for us to go inside. Cedar practically ran towards the door, swinging it open and running to mum's bed. I walked in shortly after Cedar, looking at mum's weak body laying in bed.

"Mum..." I whispered, stroking her hair.

Mum smiled at me weakly, and brought up her strength. She pushed herself up, and gave me a warm kiss on the forehead, as she did for Cedar, whose face was wet with tears. Cedar let out a cry and gave mum the biggest hug ever.

"Don't leave me, please mum!" He sobbed.

Mum's lower lip wobbled slightly, and she rested her head on top of his head.

"I'll never leave you baby..." She murmured softly, running through his hair with her hands.

Cedar finally pulled away, rubbing his face of tears away, only for it to be covered in new tears again. The nurse walked over to Cedar and I, and dismissed us. I had to practically drag Cedar out of the room, but I would've done the same thing as well. I forced my tears back.

Cedar can't see me like this, I need to stay strong for him, for mum.

Cedar clung onto me until we reached the entry of the hospital, where we searched for a taxi. Cedar looked up at me with a teary face.

"Will mum be okay?" He whispered.

"She'll be fine! She's strong, she can do it." I lied, doubting my own words.

Cedar sniffled and turned his head, resting it on my chest.

A car slowed down in front of me, and it looked oddly familiar. The window in the front seat slid down, and I saw Mitchell, tearstained and worried.

"Adair? What are you doing here?" He asked, quickly wiping his tears.

"I- I'm ju-just try-trying t-to fi-find a ta-taxi." I stammered.

"It's okay, join us." Lucas said, leaning forwards to meet my eyes.

I gave him a grateful smile and opened the seat, and saw Mitchell's mum on the furthest seat, crying.

"O-Oh, hi Adair!" She summoned up a sad smile, patting the seat next to her. Cedar moved forward and sat in, giving Mitchell's mum a warm hug, which they probably both needed. I hopped in afterwards, and after buckling the seatbelt, we sped off.

After a few awkward moments, Mitchell quickly said something.

"Hey, so umm... is your family okay? Why were you at the hospital, if you don't mind me asking?" He asked, turning his head around to meet my eyes.

"It's okay, you could ask." I replied, and Mitchell looked at me, waiting for an answer.

I sighed, and finally spoke, my voice wobbling. "My mu-mum g-got can-cancer"

Mitchell looked at me with sympathy in his eyes and he bit his lip.

"Are you okay? What happened to your dad?" Cedar piped up, and I gave him a warning look.

"No, no, it's okay." Mitchell reassured, noticing my glare. "He... he got a heart disease called cardiomyopathy, and we're really worried." He gulped, and squeezed his eyes shut, as if to force his tears to hold back.

"He's probably going to be there for a while, so we're heading back home now." Lucas sighed.

"We're heading home too, mum needs to stay in hospital for a few months, then she'll be discharged and we can spend more time with her..." I winced at the last words, and a few more tears slipped down Cedar's face.

I hugged him softly as he wept into my shirt. Mitchell's mum placed a warm hand on my thigh, and I looked up at her.

"You can stay at our house for a while. We have space, and it will probably hurt you more if you go to your own home." She murmured softly.

I looked at her with gratitude.

"That... That would be great, th-thank you so much..."

"No problem man." Lucas chuckled from the front seat, but I could hear the slightest hint of sadness.

-----------------------------------------

Hey guys! sorry, i havent popped in much, but hey? nearly 700 reads! thank you guys SO much!!!! I LOVE YALL <3 (any ships you found?)

- KK