Chapter 17: Patience

Mitchell's POV:

I gulped and walked into the office. A few minutes earlier, I had been called into the office. I honestly had no idea what was going on, but I think it had something to do with dad...

"Mitchell Hawkings?" The office lady called.

"Ye- Yes?" I stuttered, struggling to speak normally.

"Your mum is coming here to pick you up, just wait here." She smiled warmly, and walked away.

Just then, Cassie and Blaze walked out of the sick bay, and Cassie was leading him over to the lounge, his arm wrapped around her neck. She saw me and raised an eyebrow.

"Mitchell? What are you doing here?" She asked.

"My mum came to pick me up, I'm just waiting for her now." I shrugged, fiddling with my fingers anxiously.

Cassie walked over and helped Blaze to sit down, shooting me a glare when she noticed my teasing smirk. She leaned over him, her hair dangling down to his face and lifted his foot gently, causing Blaze to let out a loud hiss of pain.

"Yo, Blaze you good?" I asked with concern, noticing his state.

"Eh, my ankle hurts, and I need to go home." Blaze shuddered at the word 'home'.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What's wrong with his home? Isn't he like... MEGA rich? His house must be cosy, right?

Right?

Cassie sighed and walked over to the front desk, where the office lady nodded and smiled, then pointed to the back door. She murmured a quick 'thank you' and turned to face us, pulling her black hair behind her ear.

"The lady said that I could leave now, so I'll leave you two yourselves, see ya!" She smiled and waved, then walked off, pushing the door and leaving the room. Once I made sure she was definitely gone, I turned to face Blaze, who was clutching his ankle in pain.

"Blaze?" I called, prodding him gently in the side.

"Mmm?" He mumbled absentmindedly.

"Can... Can I ask you something?" I asked.

"You already did, dummy." He snorted, but nodded his head.

"Why do you hate Cassie so much?" I spluttered finally.

"Why do you want to know?" He snapped, but he didn't meet my eyes.

I leaned down slightly and saw a few tears forming in his eyes.

"Hey." I said softly. "You okay?"

"I..." He stammered.

"Mitchell?" The office lady called.

I quickly jerked my head up.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Your mum is here to pick you up, you can leave now." The lady smiled.

I quickly got up and murmured a quick 'bye' to Blaze, who just nodded, wiping his tears with his sleeve and re-adjusted his black mask. I quickly grabbed my bag and walked over to the car park, where mum stood with tear stained eyes. Lucas stood beside her, standing like a guard.

"Mum!" I cried out, rushing over to her. "What's going on? Wh- why are you crying?" I asked, frantically wiping her tears.

"Y- Your fa- father." Mum choked out, before Lucas quickly answered my question.

"Dad got a heart-attack and he-he's in hospital."

The words sank in like a heavy rock in my stomach. Before I had the chance to comprehend what Lucas had just said, mum ushered me into the car, and we sped off for the hospital.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I quickly sprinted through the hallways, frantically searching for dads hospital room. I darted between people and nurses, almost running face first into a wall because I wasn't looking carefully. Sure, dad might not be my blood related father, but he was just like one. Dad loved me just as much as any other father would, and I was thankful for that. If it wasn't for him, I would be dead by now.

FLASHBACK: 3RD PERSON POV

Lighting thundered across the sky, illuminating the tearstained face of the trembling mother. Her arms shook, and she cradled the small child helplessly in an attempt to keep him warm. She glanced up at the sky where thunderous clouds grew closer and closer, sending a warning flash of lightning through the sky.

The mother gazed at her wailing son, and she knew what she had to do. The poor lady sat there with ragged clothes, rummaging through her stash of items, until she found a small, straw basket. The memory of her farm life pained her, and how the evil businessmen had kicked her family out. She shivered at the cold, icy touch of raindrops at her skin, and she placed the baby gently in the basket, shielding him with her own body. She delicately put a small blanket over him to ensure his warmth throughout the cold night.

The warmth she never felt.

She picked up the basket, which weighed more than she did, and carried it to different houses, searching for a place where her child could live happily without any fear of ending up like her. She wiped the tears from her face with her drenched, ragged clothes. She looked down at her son lovingly.

I must find him a good house, she thought.

She walked for minutes, seconds, hours in the dangerous storms until she found the perfect home. It was two stories tall, with a balcony overhanging a small front yard. A few children's toys were scattered along the damp, muddy floor. From inside I could hear a few squeals of happiness and laughter from inside.

A happy family. One that I never had.

The mother smiled to herself and dropped the small basket gently. She quickly scrawled down a note to the family, before she looked at her son for the last time and walked away with a heavy heart in her chest.