"For the First Time" The Script

Um, so these are all kind of short. So, sorry, I guess.

--------

“For the First Time” The Script

I dropped my keys on the table and massaged my neck, rolling my head. I headed to the kitchen kicking off my heels. A long day of work while making barely enough money to maintain a family was not a great experience. Barely getting by, words that I had never wanted to hear but that were my reality. I was surprised when I walked in, expecting to have to cook and clean and make-do with what we had and add to the list of what we needed. Instead, I found a set table. Seven plates with the silverware next to it. I smiled. The kids had set the table. Bless their little souls. I was getting out the pans to cook some hot dogs- the best we could afford- when the doorbell rang. I hurried to get it, discarding of my stiff blue polyester jacket and throwing it on the old, ratty couch. A man was standing there, more precisely a pizza delivery guy, holding a pizza. He handed it to me and left. I called after him. Sure, we were starving and we hadn’t had pizza in ages, but we didn’t pay for it. I didn’t want to be a charity case. I walked back into the kitchen. A little confused as to what was going on. Sitting at the table were five kids with eager eyes and a grown man who that morning had sported a beard but right then didn’t. He looked as groomed as someone who was wearing a stiff tweed suit in the middle of summer could look. He smiled slightly at me and said, “Thought you could use a break.”

I wanted to scream. We couldn’t afford pizza! Instead I sat calmly. He opened a bottle of sparkling cider. He poured some on everyone’s cups. Just enough so that we wouldn’t be thirsty but that there would be enough for tomorrow. I sat stiffly and ate a slice of pizza. As long as my children didn’t starve I’d be full. We ate in silence. Stiff silence. Everything had been stiff lately. Suddenly he spoke, “I got a job.” at the news I wanted to jump up and hug him. But we had never been like that.

“Congratulations.” I said.

“I love you, Marie.” he said.

Ever since had impregnated me at age fifteen, he had never said those words. He had only said those words to assure me- a one time deal. But now, I could tell he meant them.

For the first time ever he meant it, he loved me.

I couldn’t help but say it back. Fifteen years later we were falling in love and finally making our lives better.

“I love you too, Todd.”