"Ghost" Parachute

• Dedicated to Sophie

Let me know what you think? :)

----------------------------

“Ghost” Parachute

            She quickened her pace, trying to get the feeling that Mason was there out of her head.

            “He’s dead, Sofia. Dead.” She murmured to herself.

            I’m here. She could almost hear him say, a smile would be playing at the corners of his lips.

            “You’re gone.” She murmured, her heartbeat quickened as did her pace. “You’re gone.” She received a few looks from passerbies but she didn’t care. She wanted to get home and get away from the shadow following her.

            Sofia. His voice murmured from beside her.

            “Leave me alone.” She said. A little boy looked over at her and gave her a curious look; he turned to his mother and asked her something. The mother gave Sofia a look before quickening her own pace and her child’s.

            I’m here, Sofia. I’m here.

            “Shut up.” She murmured, this time a homeless man looked at her and gave her a creepy smile.

            Sofia Valencia. I’m here, it’s Mason, baby.

            “Leave me alone.” She started gasping for breath. Mason was here.

            She glanced behind her, she saw all the people yet she could make out a shadow following her, keeping close behind. Watching her.

            “Mason.” She murmured, turning around and trying to follow the shadow. But she walked and walked, and it was still the same distance away. An arm length’s or two, but still unreachable. “Mason.”

            The shadow said nothing, instead kept getting further. Sofia started to walk at a brisk pace, slowly jogging and then full out running.

            She was surprised her breath didn’t get shallow; surprised that her hair didn’t stick to her forehead with perspiration, or that she was perspiring at all. It was as if she was merely floating with the wind. Another leaf in autumn, destined to be crunched by some adult that just wanted to get their childhood back- an adult that wanted to live simply.

            She ran for what could have been an eternity or a few minutes. Time seemed to slow down. The people seemed to disappear. All she saw was the shadow, still unreachable. All she saw was Mason’s face. All she heard was Mason’s voice calling Sofia, Sofia Valencia… I’m here. She wanted nothing more than to grab Mason, to get the shadow. But it kept getting away. It was just teasing her.

            It was probably laughing at how pathetic and weak she was.

            She stopped running when she reached the bridge. The calm water under seemed sad, as if lonely. It wasn’t foamy like other days; it flowed serenely out into the ocean. It was a beautiful sight.

            She was bought back into reality when a car’s horn blared as it whizzed by. It was telling her to get out of the way. She did so, for her sake. She leaned against the bridge’s old railing and looked down into the dark blue, almost black, water. The river seemed to roll on forever, where it ended and where the ocean began was undefined. It was simply one.

            Like us Sofia, we were one. Mason’s smooth voice came. It sounded like Mason’s voice. But Mason had never said those words; yet it still possessed the dark chocolate-like suaveness.

            Jump, Sofia, jump.

            “I can’t.” Sofia murmured, dazing off into the horizon.

            Jump, I’m at the bottom. I’m here for you, Sofia. Jump.

            Sofia looked into the river. Mason’s body was probably somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean by now.

            Jump, Sofia. It’s okay… I’m here.

            She hesitated before climbing onto the railing. She sat there, a few cars honked at her but none stopped.

            I love you, Sofia. Jump. Love me.

            Sofia flung herself into the river.

            She didn’t fight as the dark water washed over her, turning her world black.