Chapter 63: Conflicting Emotions

October 11th, Sunday

(Y/n) gently patted at her neck, wincing slightly as she pushed down on the light red and blue fingerprints that were embedded in her skin. She kept craning her neck in the mirror to examine the swatches of deep colour that appeared around her throat like a necklace of bruises against her flesh. 'Damn it, what has he done...? With the bite I could at least cover it easily, but this won't be effortless to hide...should I tell someone, or is it safer to drop the subject...?' As ideas flickered inside of we mind like candles, each one going out as she weighed her options, leaving only a few flames still glowing. She speculated over her choices and consequences, measuring each risk with worrying anxiety. 'Maybe...I'll say something after I've had a chance to think about it...' She heaved out a sigh, feeling nauseous as she flashed back to the male's strong hands gripping around her throat.

She shivered at the memory and rubbed her sore neck, trying to soothe the sensation. The girl stood up from the mirror and rummaged through her drawers to find the article of clothing that would aid in covering the contrasting colours.

After finding a scarf that would have to act as her concealer for the time being, she emerged through her bedroom door and headed towards the stairs to be greeted by two males who were in an intense game of chess. "Good morning (Y/n)." Jin gave her a small wave before proceeding to move one of his pawns on the board.

"Morning." She gave him regard and a quick smile, trying to avoid eye contact with the intellectual playing against the brunet.

"Good morning (Y/n)." Kaito attempted to beacon her attention back to him, only for her to simply give him a small hum as her answer. "Why are you wearing that?" He pointed towards the scarf while also proceeding to move his own piece against the boy opposite of him.

"I'm going out..." She slid the glass door to the back garden and proceeded to depart from the rest of the group, leaving the males to their game. Kaito was seemingly distracted as he carefully watched the girl's disappeared form, and glided the nail of his index gently against his skin.

"Something seems to be bothering you." Jin observed the boy's thoughtful state and piped up, making his move against his opponent on the board.

Kaito hesitated on answering the question for a while as his mind scattered like roots, trying to come to a simple conclusion. "...No, it's nothing." He shifted his piece onward and relaxed back to await for the other boy's move.

"I know you better than you think Kaito. You have this habit of scratching your face whenever you're bothered or deeply thinking about something." Kaito looked at the hand that was still itching his face before stubbornly putting it down. Jin gave him an innocent smile that showed slight mischief at his confirming hypothesis and moved his own pawn on the board.

"You're a good chess partner but your deduction skills can be quite a bother sometimes." He opposed the other boy's pawn with his own and ended his turn.

"I can't help it if I'm intuitive. I need to compensate for my health in some way." The male moved another one of his pieces to avoid it being taken.

"That sixth sense of yours might get you unwanted attention one day." Kaito placed another one of his pawns forward, cornering the opposing boy's main piece.

Jin seemed to be looking between the lines of the intellectual's faultless banter, and proceeded to move one of his pawns to oppose his queen. "I guess I'm going to have to use my instincts to see the danger before it happens then."

The pair seemed to come to a mutual, subconscious understanding as they stared at each other as though analysing what the other one's track of thought was. "Then it's best you keep watching your back. Checkmate." Jin looked down at the board to see his King surrounded by all sides, providing no escape for his pawn and virtually ending the game. He wondered at what point the pieces even came to their positions of encircling the head figurine, and attempting to decipher the strategy. "I'll go make some coffee." Kaito stood up from his seat on the couch and left the second male to stare after him.