Prolouge

Terrified I dare to peek through the paper thin crack where a ribbon of light shines through the darkness. I can her his heavy breaths as he looks for me, the sound of my old boots being flung across the room with his efforts.

"You're only making this harder on yourself son" his deep gravelly voice seethes with hatred and I cross my legs. "You know you're dead when I find you"

I can't stop the trickle of warmth that flows down my legs in fear, I know that too will only make him angrier.

"It's alright Cole, we're going to be okay" Isabel tells me and I nod.

She holds onto my arm and I smile at her bravery, she has too much for someone so small. Mum tells me there's no one there, but I can't imagine eyes that blue, or her long hair and freckles. My Isabel is special, she loves me, she tells me so.

The dark closet is flooded with light and for a moment I can't see.

"Fucking hell you piece of shit, how does a thirteen year old wet his fucking pants?! You think that will stop me son? Well do you?" Fingers grip at my arm and I'm flung the same way my boots were.

My head bangs on the hard floors and I scramble to get my back to the wall, he's mad. So mad.

"Answer me kid, I'm speaking to you"
"N..nn...nno. I...I...I'm s..s...sss.ssorry" I beg and cover my head with my arms.
"Not yet Coleson, not yet you're not you pathetic retard"

I whimper and lift my knees putting me into a ball and pray for something, anything to stop what happens next. I can't remember why I thought I could eat the last slice of bread, I didn't think he'd want it now it was mouldy.

"No d..d..daddy, I..I..I'm s..s..sorry" I beg.
"Then you better show me son" he sneers and laughs so cruel.

I don't want to, I hate this but I stand up. I know it doesn't make a difference, it's going to happen whether I fight him or not.
I look at my closet, I get up because I don't have a choice.

"It's alright Cole, we're going to be fine"
"Shh, he'll find you" I whisper and a backhand whips across my face.

I taste blood but I don't cry, I never cry.

"I love you Cole" Isabel tells me and I keep my eyes on her beautiful face.
"I love you" I tell her with no sound, he's taken my breath.

She nods and her tiny hands hold onto the closet door, I panic he's going to see her. He would kill her if he did.