Chapter eighteen

I already regret this, what the fuck was I thinking? I look at myself in new clothes, a fucking haircut as requested, clean shaven and the barber even styled my hair. It's perfectly in place and stiff with product I've never used before in my life. I've never been to this much trouble for a date, I'm not even going to get laid for this.
Too late to back out, Jess will already be on her way. It's not a date so she's picking me up, that and Jaxon's car seat won't go in my old beast.

"Don't you look... good?" Coop worries his jaw when I enter the living room.
"Is it bad?" I ask frowning at his reaction.
"It is for her husband" he nods.
"It's not a date, were just two peeps hanging out together. We're not even really friends" I rub my forehead feeling nauseous.
"You okay?" Coop asks.
"No, yes. I don't know. I don't feel good, I'm grumpy and my stomach hurts. My head aches and my mind is fuzzy"
Coop nods like he's making a list inside his mind.
"Cooper, what?" I groan.
"Nothing, come and take an aspirin you'll be fine" he waves me into the kitchen and like a good boy I obey.
"Thanks" I mutter and swallow down the pills he shakes from a bottle he keeps over the fridge.
"You've got protection right?" Coop blurts.
"As in a protective cup for my balls? I haven't forgotten the last life lesson she gave me" I grimace. "Dude we won't be getting it on, Jax will be with us the whole time, she's married and I'm... broken" I sigh.
"You're not broken brother, you'll see" Coop tells me with a hand on my shoulder.
"Not yet" Jace grumbles suddenly behind me. "I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you anything you do do, has consequences. Size thirteen consequences" he adds gesturing to his boots.
"Dude said do do" I smirk and a little bubble of laughter comes out.
I frown, I don't laugh.
"Jesus Christ why am I worried? This idiot hasn't got a chance with someone like Jessica" Jace laughs out loud.
"Hey, my baby brother has game I'll have you know. He'd have her panties on the floor before dessert if he wanted to" Coop slings his arm over my shoulder defending me.
"Everybody's panties are staying in place. This is not a date" I repeat for the hundredth time.
"Cole I don't know how you view marriage vows and I won't pretend to know what shape Jess's marriage is in, but I do know she takes them seriously. I do know nothing good can come from starting something else while she's working that out" Jace tells me seriously.
"Then let me clear it up for you, even if I was interested in your sister, I believe that ring on her finger means at one time she loved her husband with everything she had. That precious little boy glued to her hip deserves a father to raise him. My personal feelings aside, if there is even a slight chance they can make it work long distance then that kid is reason enough for any man to keep his distance. As a human, Jessica deserves attention, she deserves to feel special if for only one day. When the rest of the world is celebrating love in all its glory us unlucky ones are left behind to lick our wounds, I really don't know why but I didn't want her to do that alone" I say feeling tight in the chest.
"There's actually a gentleman in there somewhere, isn't there?" Coop smiles grabbing my face and examining it.
"You know I love you bro? Won't mean I'll go easy on you if you hurt her" Jace warns.
"It's dinner, it's nothing" I grumble over this shit.
"It's the way you look at her son, it's the way he smiles at you. Don't underestimate the power of a woman's maternal instincts, seeing fatherly potential in you makes you attractive. Just be careful is all I'm saying" Jace sighs.
"Must be why your wife likes me so much" I tease him.
"Don't start kid" Jace grumbles and is interrupted by the doorbell. "I'll get it" he finishes looking frustrated.
"He can trust me you know" I mumble and grab my jacket and giant bunch of roses.

I go to greet Jess at the door and swallow hard, she looks amazing.
"Wow, you look decent" I say nervously.
"Aww, you cut your hair" Jess smiles and kisses my cheek while Jace stares me down.
"Yeah I had gum in it or something" I lie.
"And you shaved" she smirks not believing me for a second.
"These are for you, you ready to go? Where's Jax?" I ask handing over the bouquet.
"He's in the car, they're awesome thank you. Did Jace tell you I love rainbows?" She smiles and sticks her nose amongst the roses of every colour.
"No I just couldn't decide on what you might like, I told the lady to give me five of each" I blush.
"Call me when you get home, call me if you need me to come get you, call me if he gets too handsy" Jace tells her with authority.
"Want me to call you when he's eating my pussy under the table? Want me to call you when I'm screaming his name?" Jess flicks his nose defiantly.
"I swear to god Jess" Jace groans.
"Lets go hot stuff, monkey will wake up any second" Jess takes my hand and I wink back at the boys being dragged along behind her.