Chapter thirty seven

Three stab wounds and two broken arms, one heart attack one assumed stroke, we're still waiting on tests. It's only fucking two o'clock.
"Nick, I'm taking my break" I mutter and walk away from the busy nurses station.
"Pardon what?" Nick asks arrogantly and I stop and roll my eyes.
"I'm sorry. Doctor Newton I'd like to beg for your permission please? I really to pee and I need to eat something before I pass out" I say sugar sweetly.
"Not much better but if you must you must I guess" he grumbles and shoos me off with his hands.
I go to the locker room and grab the paper bag filled with food Cole packed for me, a PB and J sandwich and a banana, a blueberry muffin he made from scratch and a thermos of liquid gold... hmm coffee. I grab my phone and sit on the floor against the wall, there is a room with tables and vending machines where we can eat but I like the quiet in here. Usually I crave the silence of the empty room on my break but tonight all I really want is to hear his voice, like an addict I need a hit of my man.
"Hey Sweet Cheeks" Cole answers on only the third ring.
"Hmm hey Sexy" I smile hearing him call me that.
"How's my lady tonight? ER treating you well?" He asks and it sounds like he genuinely cares about the answer.
"It's fine, none of my patients have died on me yet. Although I'm not too sure I will be able to say that by end of shift, one is cutting it close" I tell him truthfully.
"Well sweetheart if they have any chance to see the morning I know it's because you will do everything you can to save them, whatever will be will be"
"Thanks Baby, and thanks for feeding me. How's my man? Finished work?" I ask with a mouthful.
"Yeah finally... I know I shouldn't complain when you are dealing with life and death but tonight was a nightmare. Fights, ambulances and cops with sniffer dogs. I've never been so happy for closing time in my life, I thought for sure the dogs would sniff me out" Cole groans and I giggle.
"And why would they do that Boy?" I smile.
"Well I know I said I quit but I had just a little weed left and it would be wasteful to just throw it out, also I maybe have some blow in my jacket pocket. But I promise it's not for me Ellie, I mean it's mine but I'm giving it away, Mike is meeting me in just a few minutes to take it off me" Cole tries to explain and I laugh at the determination in his voice.
"Chill Boy, I trust you. So does that mean you're staying out?"
"Yeah, I don't want to go home yet. I'll want to get into bed and I'm not even going to lay down without you, it's only another three hours right?"
"What will you do? You don't have to wait out for me, I can catch an Uber" I ask trying to swallow down the muffin in two bites.
"Ha! I don't fucking think so beautiful, I've got something to eat up a little time don't worry" he tells me sounding full of mischief.
"No girls right?" I check.
"Ellie, you are my only. Girls don't even exist for me anymore, that's something you never have to worry about. Please promise you won't be thinking over that till we're together again" Cole is frowning I can tell by his rough voice.
"I want to trust you Baby, I'm sorry.... it's me not you" I whisper.
"One day I will make you see no one is more perfect than you, I'm not doing my job right if there is even a little bit of doubt left in your mind" he sounds disappointed.
"You are perfect Sexy, I'm sorry you have to pay for other men's bad behaviour. I know that's not fair" I sigh.
"Shh... I love you Red, there's nothing I won't do for you. I understand" Cole soothes me.
"I love you so much Cole, I'm sorry I've been jealous all day.... Bobby, Jessica, the dirty ho bag who lost her panties.... I'm sorry" I say covering my eyes with my spare hand.
"Ellie. I understand, please don't worry about it. I know what you need"
"Yeah you, in our big bed naked and in my arms. I need your heartbeat under my ear and your hands on my body" I smile.
"You forgot hard as steel and balls deep, you forgot my tongue in your mouth and my moans in your ears" Cole purrs through the phone.
"Holy shit. I forgot that on purpose, I have work to do" I giggle. "I can't be staring into a a gunshot wound grinning like a fool and licking my lips because in my mind I see us tangled and hot"
"Oops, my bad. Forget I mentioned it" Cole laughs out loud and my heart beats faster at the sound, I love his laugh.
"I really do have to get back to work, I'll see you in a few hours?"
"You bet sweetheart, I'll be waiting"
"Then I'll try my best not to keep you waiting too long, bye Sexy" I smile.
"Bye beautiful" Cole smiles too.
The line goes dead and I shove the rest of my sandwich in my mouth all at once and drag my ass back out to the pit of hell.