Chapter 88: Lies that hide dark secrets.

When I started waking up, a high-pitched sound could be heard. The metals that held my hands fixed to the table were no more there. They must have flew off during the... explosion. Let's call it that. I touched my wrists. No pain. I must have been passed out for quite some time for the pain produced by the cuffs to dissipate. I stood up, well tried. The minute my body's weight pressed on my feet, they gave up. I landed with a thud, trying to get back up but in vain. 'Maybe I have ants...' I thought. At the same time, I heard a grunt and decided to crawl towards it. 

Under a large pile of wood and metal, there was Hailin. She had a large piece of metal crushing her legs so she could not move an inch without feeling extreme pain. I immediately tried to get that huge load off her. "Oh just leave it, you dumb ass. It won't do any good to pull it off me. And besides, you are too weak to lift that son of a bitch. I exhaled deeply because of fatigue from trying to lift the load off her. "Isn't there really anything to do?" I said more to myself than to her.

She laughed. I looked to her, confused more than ever. "Seems like I'm gonna end up like you, after all. Oh well, karma is  a bitch, right?" "What do you mean? Look Hailin you are not thinking straight... Tell me, is there a phone here? I could call an ambulance and tell them what ha-" "Um are you serious? We are in the Shinigami realm, for you information. There are no such things as ambulance here." She said before scoffing. "That's right, you are a Shinigami. So this means that you can't die. Beyond told me about this." I said in relief. she looked at me with disgust. What did I say that was wrong? "Oh look at Miss Y/n trying to act like she cares. I know all of this is just a simple act to protect your image from having any bad critics." she said disgust laced in each word. "What? No! I-I am not trying to protect my image or whatsoever. I'm...I'm not a monster at least, that's what I need to believe.

 There was silence in what remained of the room for 14 minutes and 1 second. Then she whispered. "For who?" It seemed she was no more angry. "Huh? What...What do you mean for who?" I asked, tired. I sat criss-cross next to her. Her head turned to the side to look at me. "For who do you need to believe that. For L? Neha? Beyond? For who?" I chuckled. "I'm doing that for myself. For keeping me sane, that is. Besides, its not like I am the only one to do this. Everyone without any exception lives with a lie, an essential one." I looked at her. "Even you." 

She smirked. "Yeah, even me." "What is it? What is your secret?" Maybe I shouldn't have asked this question. Hailin kept looking down, being complete silent. At one point, it even crossed my mind that she might have really passed away. I was for once relieved to hear sobs. "Back then, I lied to you. Telling you I barely knew your dad." Her answer awakened my curiosity. "You knew him?! B-But how?" She kept quiet, struggling to keep the tears of hers inside. "Hailin! Reply! Come on, I deserve to know. How was my father? Even more important, how did you get to know him?!

She looked at me once more, this time with eyes full of tears and guilt and whispered softly "I was his mistress."

 (A/n: Oh snaaaap! Never thought I would have dared make a connection like this ever happen but oh well, tomorrow is Christmas after all so I thought why not? 

Aren't you excited for the gifts you are gonna get tomorrow? I am. Tell me what you want to be gifted!

Song is No one's here to sleep by Naughty Boy ft. Bastille )