The one after a week

-October 20, 2012-

It's been a week since my soccer game that Taylor missed.

A whole week where we had barely talked.

I tried my best to keep my distance. She made it hard, but I kept my emotions in check. I talked to her maybe once.

To be honest, it broke my heart. By far the hardest week of my life.

So it's Saturday morning around 9:40 and I just woke up. I was scrolling through my phone when there was a knock at the door. Knowing it was Taylor, I put my phone down and pretended to be asleep.

"I know you're awake Kaitlyn," she said. Her voice was raspy and quiet. "I heard you put your phone down. And you're wearing your glasses already."

I opened my eyes and blinked the water out of them a few times. I had low key cried myself to sleep last night and from the sound of it, so had Taylor. This fight is killing both of us.

"We need to talk," Taylor said. I looked over at her. She was wearing pajama pants and a tank top with an oversized sweater on top. She had her glasses on over her red, puffy eyes. I was sure I looked just as depressing as I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "I'm sorry," she said.

"I know," I said, looking down at my fingers.

"No, you don't," Taylor said. She sat at the end of my bed as I pulled my legs into my body. "I'm awful."

"Don't say that," I said, continuing to look at my feet.

"It's true. I should've been there," Taylor sighed. "I should've remembered."

My lip curled up on one side for half a second before my face returned to a frown. A hot tear slipped my eye and landed on my hand.

"There's nothing I can say," Taylor breathed. "But I'm sorry."

"Me too," I said. I closed my eyes to save the tears, but a few slipped loose. I kept my eyes closed as more and more came out. I felt Taylor move next to me and put her arm around my shoulder. I leaned my head against her and softly cried.

I felt a few hot tears from Taylor dripping onto my head but I ignored them since mine were currently soaking her sweater.

We sat there for all too long until someone rang the doorbell. Taylor wiped her eyes and stood up to answer the door. She came back into the room with Connor trailing behind her. Taylor climbed back into my bed and let me lay my head on her shoulder again.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Why?" I asked.

"This is my fault," he said.

"No it's not Connor, this one's all me," Taylor said sadly yet weirdly forcefully.

"No, it's not. Kaitlyn, Taylor remembered your game, but I told her that we should stay here for a bit longer and we ended up missing the whole game," Connor admitted.

"What?" I asked.

"Yeah," Connor nodded.

"Is this true?" I asked Taylor. She hesitantly nodded her head. "You lied to me?" She nodded again. "Don't just nod, say something!" I said angrily.

"It's true!" She said.

"Why?" I asked, heartbroken.

"I don't know, it was just easier to say that I forgot than to tell you that I remembered-"

"But didn't care enough to show up!" I finished for her.

She sat there in shame with a few stray tears running down her cheeks. I stood up and grabbed a sweatshirt out of my closet.