Reed - Prom Night II

We step out together and both take deep breaths.

I turn to her, "Ready?"

She looks at me and nods, "I'm dressed and ready to go."

I smile at her and we make our way down to the driveway, where she stops at the car but I walk pass it and turn around and give her a wide grin.

"No, you didn't."

She walks up to me and looks down the road, where a white limo is cruising forward.

"Come on, you know I would."

She turns to me and gives me a wide grin. "I really didn't."

"The lack of faith Reena." I shake my head, "Lack of faith really hurts."

She laughs, "It's not about faith, I just really didn't. You know I wouldn't have mind if you drove."

I turn to look at her, "I know, and that's why you deserve it more."

She bites her lips and tips on her toes to kiss me on my cheek. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

When the car stops, the driver comes around and opens the door for both of us, he gives me a quick look when he spots her bulging belly but is smart enough to keep it to himself.

As I sit beside her, I notice her looking all around. "Is that actual champagne?"

I take up a bottle and shake it, "It's water. I told them no champagne."

"Why, it's not like we're going to do anything reckless and end up pregnant." She laughs at the last part and I giggle.

"Anyways, since you're pregnant, I safeguarded the car in regards to beverages."

She smiles and leans closer, "You're sense of humor is lacking."

"It's never lacking, it's just that tonight I want everything to go perfectly."

"Yes I know but you also need to relax and let us have fun."

I look down at her, right into her eyes and she smiles. "I promise we will."

"Good."

The car starts, and the privacy screen disappears and the driver pokes his head out and gives us a warm smile. "I'll be your driver for the evening, and since you already covered first base, you'll make my job a lot easier tonight."

Reena laughs, but I just give him a dead smile. She looks at me and jabs me in my side, "Will you relax, please."

The privacy screen appears, and I look at her and smile. "I'm relaxed."

She puts the back of her hand on my forehead and gives me a blank look, "Then why is your forehead slick with sweat when the night's so cold?"

I stare at her, and as the car drives away I turn my attention to the mirror, watching the world go by.

"Reed, nothing is going to happen."

Without looking at her, I nod and I hear her give a long drawn-out sigh.

Of course Reena's right, I should relax but I'm finding that impossible to do. She's so close to having our baby and although I can't wait, I still feel like I'm not ready. I'm not ready for when she's going to be in a lot of pain and all I'll be doing is nothing.

I hate feeling worthless, I want to protect her and when that day comes I know I won't be able to and that sucks. It tears me up.

Reena lies down, puts up her feet and lays her head on my lap. Her eyes are looking directly into mine and I can't look away now, because I know she wants me to tell her what's really bothering me.