Reed - She's Here

Before the nurses get me in scrubs and admit us to the operating table, Reena mom shows up and the entire mood changes. Reena seems more relaxed, and I can sense that she's happy. Her mother looks better than she did the last time we saw her, her face doesn't have any bruises and she looks overall healthy.

"I know I'm late but I could never miss this." She holds Reena's hand and just stares at her for a long time. "I'm sorry for the last months, I'm sorry that I haven't been supportive and I am sorry for everything. I've been a terrible mother and ..."

"Mom, it's okay. You're here now and ... that's all that matters really." Ms Waters smiles and bites her lip, nodding to herself. 

The doctor comes then and they both look at each other before she gives Reena a hug. When they finally move apart, her mom wipes her eyes and kisses her on her forehead. "I'll be here when you get out, I promise, okay?"

"Okay."

They wheel her out and I hold her hand the entire time to the operation room, as the doors to the room open she squeezes my hand a little tighter and I wish with everything I had that I could take away her fears.

The nurses and doctors start setting everything up, and Reena shuts her eyes tight and I just keep rubbing her hand and tell her it's going to be fine. When they cover her mouth and nose and put up the sheet to start, she opens her eyes and stares at me. 

"I love you, Reed."

"I love you too."

Then she takes a quick breath and gives me a small smile, "We're going to be parents." I smile wide and she does the same, "You're going to be a dad, and I'll be a mom."

The doctor's voice booms over and Reena stiffens, and her smile vanishes, "You might just feel a little discomfort, if it's anything painful, let us know, okay?" 

"Okay." She says, and she takes a deep breath and nods to herself.

They begin and five minutes in, Reena starts to complain about pain, and she 's crying. The doctors then inject her with general anaesthesia and begin again, and this time there are no complains. To keep her mind off what's going on, I try to distract her by telling her about my sister, and how I know she would have loved her more than anything.

"You two might have been best friends even."

"You think so?" Her speech has become slow and I notice her eyes aren't as focused and alert anymore. 

"Reena?"

Then before she can answer, I hear a wail and the doctor says, "Well, it's a girl." The doctor stands up, hands her to a nearby nurse who wraps her up and holds her out to me. I stand there, just staring because of my baby, my own child that I've watched grow inside Reena's stomach is here, right in front of me, and she looks so pure and beautiful. In that moment I've never felt a love so strong, and an urge to protect her rises up that is so strong that I almost choke on the emotions that are threatening to break me.

Finally, I take her from the nurse, but she first shows me the correct way of holding her. She's still crying but then she opens her eyes and when she sees me, she stops. I'm in such bliss, captivated by her existence that I don't notice Reena isn't moving until the machine starts going off, then panic ensues.

"She's losing too much blood!"

I turn to look at Reena and all I see are her unblinking eyes staring at the ceiling. Before I can say anything, a nurse takes the baby from me and I'm shuffled outside the room. As the door closes, all I can do is stand there as the look on Reena's face sinks in. Her still and unmoving eyes. I shiver at the very thought of whatever it means and as raw fear eats at me, I turn my back to the wall and sink to the floor. 

***

THANK YOU GUYYSSSS FOR BEING SO PATIENT!! EXAMS ARE FINALLY OVER!!

I REALLY HOPE, AS USUAL, THAT YOU GUYS LIKED THIS CHAPTER. PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT, LIKED, DISLIKED! IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

THANKS AGAIN AND HAPPY READING!