Chapter 28

After the hospital, Kakashi had turned into this unbelievably amazing man that I was blessed to have by my side...not that he wasn't already unbelievably amazing on his own, but now...it would have been understandable if he chose to be angry with me for lying to him. It would have been understandable to be upset at the idea of an unplanned baby that was conceived during my deception...and he had been quite adamant in always making sure he was using protection every time we were together after that, so it was certainly something he had been cautious to avoid.

But instead of being angry or upset with me, he was understanding and caring. The only time he truly left my side was before we left the hospital, while there were still nurses to watch over me. He went to Ibiki to update him that I'd be taking a week off to rest just to be safe and informed his team and Hokage he'd be doing the same. The doctor hadn't ordered it and we hadn't discussed it...but Kakashi hadn't felt the same fear I had when we heard that heartbeat. He felt an instant determination...and guilt for causing my stress...so he was determined to do everything he could to make sure I stayed relaxed and stress free to make it through these next 2-4 weeks.

It was sweet the way he stayed by my side, tending to my every need including the ones I didn't realize I even had. If I didn't already love this man, I'd probably be falling head over heels for him. And I think I was, falling for him again and again each morning I woke with his arms wrapped around me, holding me both so delicately but so close to him.

His desire didn't lessen either, but his touches and caresses were much more gentle, more soft. All of his attention devoted to me, to the pleasure we shared while making sure I didn't overexert myself. It made being with him much more exhilarating knowing that I was still his and desired by him just as much as before everything came into the light.

But every wonderful week has to come to an end. Kakashi had left that morning, leaving late again after many many assurances from me that I'd be fine for the time being. Today was my usual day off, so I had taken up a spot on a chair behind the apartment building, just letting the sun's warmth cast over me while I read the next volume of Icha Icha Paradise. These books had peeked my curiousity and I decided to read through everything Kakashi had. As I turned the page, the cry of a bird came from above and I averted my eyes to the sky to see the Hokage's hawk flying overhead.

I welcomed the call, ready for a reason to get out and about now that I didn't have Kakashi all to myself. I was already dressed and ready to go, I just needed to grab a few things. Snatching up Kakashi's music player for the walk and a bag of peach candy rings which I'd come to crave the last few days, I locked up and headed for the Hokage's office.

When I arrived, all the Jonin from the village were gathered around his desk waiting for whatever news had required us all to be there. I couldn't help but get a small smile as I saw that familiar wisping silver hair from amongst the group. I walked up behind him without a word, just opening my bag of candies and popping one of the delicious rings into my mouth. Kakashi turned his head, catching the familiar scent of peaches he'd come to recognize from all the bags I'd devoured. I gave him a small closed eye grin and jokingly held the bag up to offer him one, knowing there were way too many Jonin in close quarters for him to even try eating one if he wanted. He chuckled at me with a raised brow as he stepped back to stand almost protectively behind me with the front of his shoulder pressed against the back of mine.

The Hokage cleared his throat, grabbing everyone's attention. "You've been assembled for only one reason."

"It's already that time..." Kakashi mumbled with the slightest surprise in his tone and I peered back at him for a moment, wondering what was happening. His hand dropped lightly on my shoulder and gave a squeeze just as the Hokage continued.