Chapter 33

"I'm sorry Hokage, but I don't think I heard you clearly. You are asking me to do what again?" I asked in full astonishment that this was even unfolding.

I was mid working with Itachi, training him on how to perfect my cloaking technique so that he could use it himself, when we were interrupted with a message. It was for me, and me alone, to meet with the Hokage on urgent business. 

Since Lady Tsunade officially took her place as the Fifth Hokage, I had been preparing myself for whatever might come my way once she had given her assessment of me. I was after all a recently former Akatsuki member with interrogation videos confessing to have spent time stalking one of their Jonin undetected...would she change the decision the Third had made to give me a chance? Or would she allow me to stay but demote me? Those were the worries that I had prepared myself to handle...but this...I never could have prepared for this.

"I know this is a lot to demand of you, but you're also the only one who could do this." Tsunade was trying to keep her tone soft and understanding as if that would make her words better.

"Really?" I scoffed, "So you're saying in the history of the Hidden Leaf Village, no other ninja has been asked to infiltrate a rogue faction for information before; and that's why I'm the only one who can join up with Orochimaru?" Where she was trying to stay calm, I was failing to keep my tone less than sarcastic as I said this. I knew this wasn't the appropriate way to speak to the Hokage, especially when I had just entered this room with worries about her impression of me...but this...I couldn't control myself. 

"Of course we've sent others before, but those cases were different."

"Different? How?!"

"Time. Anyone else would need time to create a live for themselves outside of the village, one that could be believed and trusted enough to be accepted; and that doesn't include trying to find him in the first place. But you-Orochimaru knows you and he wants you. And after the attack on the village and the death of the Third Hokage, we don't have time to waste! We need to know if he's planning anything else against Konoha, what he's planning and when." She argued, her tone starting to take a hard edge towards the end as my expression remained the same as when his name first came out of her mouth.

"I'm sorry Hokage, I really am. I understand what you're saying, but...he's the reason why I lost my child...I just can't bring myself to go running to join that man as if it never happened." I told her and started to rise from my seat thinking that was that.

"And I'm sorry if I gave the impression that this was an optional mission." Tsunade retorted, stopping me in my tracks. "I know it was the Third's decision to give you a second chance here in Konoha, and I don't plan to go against that, but I also know that he had mandated a probational period which you are still in. So now I will give you two choices: You can refuse the mission, break your probation and leave Konoha or you can take the mission." I felt my body drop like dead weight back into the chair below me as I stared at her in disbelief. If I left Konoha I'd be leaving Kakashi and she knew that. She knew she trapped me. "I didn't want to bring this to an ultimatum, but as the Hokage I have to act on behalf of the entire village."

"I might be pregnant. No Kage can send a pregnant woman on a mission like that." I told her anxiously. It felt like a desperate attempt...and it was...but it didn't make the possibility less true. 

Tsunade's eyes widened and she looked at me a bit startled, jaw slightly dropped. "Pregnant...but, I thought...you just..." She started stammering through her responses, not sure how to phrase the thought in her mind.

"It only took one go the first time and we've been trying for a couple weeks now, so it's certainly possible. " I answered with a nervous chuckle at my bad joke.