Chapter 3 ~ Dad...?

"S-Sophie...?" Levi asked from beside me. I looked at him. I'm fairly sure I don't know him.

"You two know each other?" Erwin asked, a bit shocked.

"She... She's my daughter..." Levi said.

W-what?! But that can't be! He can't be my dad!

"That's impossible." I said. "I haven't seen my dad in eleven years. He left and never came back. He could be dead for all I know... or for all I care."

My last statement seemed to really hit him. His eyes were sorrowful as he looked at me, something like regret in his eyes. "Sophie..." He said softly.

"I'll leave you two alone." Erwin said and he and the Mike guy left. We stood alone in silence before I decided to speak up.

"Listen, I don't know who you are, but you're not my dad. So just leave me alone." I said and started to walk in the direction that Erwin went. He grabbed my wrist and stopped me, though.

"Listen, Sophie, I know it's a little late-"

"A little late?! It's been ELEVEN years! It's been ELEVEN YEARS since you left and never came back! You broke your promise! You left me down here to rot!"

"Listen, Sophie, I didn't mean to-"

"How do you 'not mean to do that'?!" I yelled at him. He let go of my wrist and looked down at the ground, a lone tear sliding down his cheek.

"I'm sorry..." His voice cracked. A silent moment passed before I asked one of the questions that I had pondered all my life.

"Why?" I asked.

"Huh?" He lifted his head.

"Why did you leave me down here alone? Why did you break your promise and never come back?" I asked, holding in my tears.

"Because I was scared..." He answered. His answer had me shocked and confused.

"Scared of what?" I asked him, stepping closer to him.

"I was scared that something had happened to you while I was away. I was scared that I'd come back for you and find your dead body lying on the floor." He answered. "Like so many others down here..."

"So you left me alone for eleven years? Do you know what I've been through?!" I questioned him, a single tear now falling.

"It was a mistake, I know. If I could go back in time to change it, I would." He answered and hesitated. "And I don't expect you to forgive me." I thought for a moment.

His reason is understandable. I'd be scared too if I were in his position. Yes, he should have came back, but we all make mistakes.

"I forgive you." I said.

"Huh?" He looked at me, wide-eyed.

"I forgive you. I understand what you're saying and we all make mistakes." I smiled. "So I forgive you."

"Sophie..." His voice cracked again and he hugged me tightly. I hugged back and enjoyed the feeling that I had missed for so long, that I had longed for for so long.

"It's been too long..." I chuckled.

"Yeah... it really has..." He replied. We stayed in the hug for a little bit longer before he pulled back and looked into my eyes.

"I missed you so much." He said, cupping my cheeks and his eyes still watery from crying.

"I missed you, too." I replied.

"I love you, you know that." He gave me one of his rare smiles.

"Yeah, I do. And I love you, too." I replied and he kissed my forehead.

"Well, let's get going." He said and began to walk in the direction that Erwin and Mike had gone.

"To where?" I questioned, a bit confused. He turned around and looked back at me.

"The Survey Corps."